Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14" Jet Bandsaw motor upgrade

14" Jet Bandsaw motor upgrade

Hello Everyone,

About a year ago, I came across a brand new 2HP Baldor motor that was destined for the dumpster at work. I snagged this bad boy faster than you could say "Bandsaw"!

I'd been rather unhappy with the motor in my 14" Jet Bandsaw for some time now. After the flood, it worked well. But lately it was hanging up and stalling during the most simple of operations. Due to the size difference between the old 1 HP motor and the new 2Hp one, I needed to design a new cabinet. I decided that this cabinet would feature some type of fan to help bring cool air into the motor. I could never understand why Jet would design a bandsaw with a TEFC (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled), then enclose in sheet metal box. Thus making it difficult to get that cooling air! My 1 HP motor used to heat up quite a bit when resawing. Enough so that I could burn myself on the motor case if I wasn't careful.

Designing the case wasn't all that difficult. After taking the measurement of the old cabinet, I laid it out in AutoCad and designed a new one around the 2 Hp motor. The case would be as tall as the old one (mostly to allow the motor access door to be big enough so that I could get my hands in there to work), but would measure 19 1/4" wide x 17 1/8" deep. The latch shown holding the door closed in the picture below was made from scrap sheet metal that was bent to a "z" shape. The knob is a quater turn type that is used on industrial incubators.

The drawing for the 2 HP motor came right off the Baldor Web site. I was also able to get a schematic diagram and detailed specs for this 2 HP motor from Baldor's web site.

I also took the time to make up a new dust collection shroud that would fit around the lower blade guides. This idea is an adaptation of Jim Delaney's design that he posted on Badger Pond several years ago. The other disy collection port was added some time ago to the lower wheel housing. Both of these ports are intended to be hooked together with some flex hose and a 4" wye fitting.

Since this motor's shaft was at least 1/2 as big as the one on the 1 HP motor, I needed to buy a new pulley. Only problem was that the size I needed would not fit on that shaft. I ended up ordered a driver and driven pulley (V-Belt sheave) from McMaster Carr. Figuring out the size was easy. I had the old ones to go buy. I simply measured both and divided the smaller diameter by the larger diameter. This gave me the ratio I would need between sheaves to get the proper speed. I then looked up a sheave that would fit in the existing belt guard, and them multiplied the diameter by the ratio. This gave me the size of the smaller sheave.

To replace the old V-belt, I ordered a link belt. But I was sent the industrial grade version by accident (and at no extra charge). Talk about a PITA to change size! But it's beefy and works well. So I guess thats all that matters.

Later, I ordered a 220V 30 CFM fan from Grainger. I calculated that the case had a volume of approximately 4 Cu Ft. So this fan would change the air in the case about every 8 seconds. In order to minimize the dust intrusion, I also ordered the filters and housing that go with this fan. After I installed the fan, I tied the leads for both it and the motor to a terminal block. The wire then runs through the case and out to the existing pushbutton switch. Once you turn the saw on, the fan engages.

I decided to to make the cabinet from baltic birch, with hickory rails. The plywood panels would be capped off by 3/4" hickory, or poplar where I could get away with it. I decided on Hickory since I had some 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" spindle blanks laying around, and because this wood is hard enough to take the abuse a cabinet would see in my woodshop. I also decided to paint the case rather than stain it. I wanted it to look like sheet metal. So after assembly, the case got (1) coat of sanding sealer, (2) coats of primer, and (2) coats of top coat.

I had originally planned on having some type of integral mobile base feature with this new case. However, I found that I didn't like the way it performed in a mock up. The foot print was way too small. Using a Delta Universal Base expanded the footprint enough to limit this significantly.

Just about the time I was getting ready to put the case together, Woodworker's Warehouse announced that they were going out of business. With the help of my good buddy Art Silva, I "convinced myself" that I was ready for a new Jet 18" Bandsaw. I bought the new bandsaw and have been using it ever since. That sort of put this project on hold for a while.

After a time, I found that my big brother Joe was in need of a bandsaw. He was setting up a shop in his garage and was looking through some catalogs. I told him of the upgrades and offered him the bandsaw once I completed the upgrades. So after several months of on and off work, I finally completed this project this weekend. I imagine that my brother will find this saw to be all he needs.

I know what you're thinking. "He went and spent all that time on a bandsaw he's just going to give away?!" First off, this is my big brother. The guy who bought me more rubber band powered balsa wood planes(my favorite toy when I was 10) than I can count, and 100 Teenys (a type of Matchbox car) just caused I asked! Not to mention he's always looked out for me and my little brother Nicky (along with the rest of the kids). He also put up with me and my brother living in the same room as him for about 26 years! (I have NO idea how he managed to do that without totally loosing it!). Besides,.....he's got a leaf chipper he's fixing up for me!

See ya around,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dominic Greco

The rest of the pictures

Here are the rest of the pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dominic Greco

Looks great, Dominic. So...how's it cut with that bigger motor?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice job Dominic! How well did it resaw after the upgrade, and did that heavier, larger cabinet add a little more stability to the saw? The moment on the Jet seems to be pretty high up on the saw from my experience. I would have given the saw to my bro' also. A few lessons I learned early on were " Friends don't write friends checks" and "You don't sell things to family members" Once again, nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Greco
    I know what you're thinking. "He went and spent all that time on a bandsaw he's just going to give away?!" First off, this is my big brother.
    Dom...
    Outstanding job! But even more...an outstanding story. I'm sure your big brother had more fun growin ya up than you think.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Dominic
    Now that's my idea of well thought out engineering.
    Well done!
    Daniel
    ps I like it.
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler
    Nice job Dominic! How well did it resaw after the upgrade, and did that heavier, larger cabinet add a little more stability to the saw? The moment on the Jet seems to be pretty high up on the saw from my experience. I would have given the saw to my bro' also. A few lessons I learned early on were " Friends don't write friends checks" and "You don't sell things to family members" Once again, nice job.
    Mike
    I really didn't get a chance to resaw with it yet. But I did cut up an 8" Cherry log. The 3/8" x 3 TPI Timberwolf Blade went through that wet, green wood like a hot knife through butter.

About the "high Moment" you mentioned: That is one of the reason I went with a Delta Universal Base. It extends the footprint nicely. The old base had a smaller footprint and would tip if you really tried hard enough.

What I neglected to mention is that the universal mobile base has a piece of plywood fastened between the flanges that is the exact width and depth of the tool base. This is in turn fastened to the base of the tool. It makes it all one integral unit, and a lot harder to tip over.

In addition, the case has a 3" high "hollow" in the bottom where ballast in the form of some old cast iron weight plates could be added. During my "road test" (where I wheeled it around the shop for about 10 minutes), I found I didn't need the ballast. The weight of the cabinet was enough.

BTW, I just talked with my brother. He was pretty amazed (down right astounded, if you ask me) at the bandsaw I gave him. He didn't know it would be as nice as it is.
    See ya,
    Dominic
    Dominic Greco

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Wow Dominic,
    Cooling fans and all. That's one tricked out Jet.
    Can you share some more Pics of the new DC mod. As you can see from other posts. I'm interested in such things right now. Is it just surrounding the guides or is there something else going on there??
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Wow Dominic,
    Cooling fans and all. That's one tricked out Jet.
    Can you share some more Pics of the new DC mod. As you can see from other posts. I'm interested in such things right now. Is it just surrounding the guides or is there something else going on there??
    Tyler,
    Thanks for the compliments!

The shroud is about 9" wide x 8 1/2" tall. The sides were made from 1/4" hardboard, the "bracket", back, and front were made from reclaimed 3/4" plywood. After each side was cut to size, I custom fit them to each side of the saw. They surround the lower guides as best as they can. Air flow is across the guides (from the back) so that there is a cross breeze to convey dust to the inlet.

I spent the better part of 2 hours making the shroud. Custom fitting it was the hardest part. Jim Delaney's original design used Rare Earth Magnets to help hold the Shroud in place. But since I cut the pieces to fit around all obstacles, friction hold it in place rather well. So I didn't deem the RE magnets necessary. But considering the added weight of the flex hose, I added the eye hook.

I have a drawing in the works that will detail this shroud so that anyone (with a Jet 14" bandsaw) can use it.
    Dominic Greco

Cuts like a dream Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Looks great, Dominic. So...how's it cut with that bigger motor?
    Thanks Jim!

This beefed up saw cuts really well. Like I told Marc, I used it to saw up some green cherry and dogwood. I had no problems at all going through this wood.
    Dominic Greco

Dominic,
    Thanks for going to the trouble of doing some drawings for the dust collection. I'm trying to decide what to do with my Jet and am very interested. Thanks in advance.
    Mark

Dominic--nice job on the bandsaw rebuild. I've seen your other posts about it and it's nice to see the final outcome. Well done. I too have a Jet 14" and am very interested in you dust collection solution drawings.

Dominic,

Great job on the motor conversion and base. I must say though - I'd like to go dumpster diving at your workplace - 2hp Baldors are throw-aways!! I think the only thing you could add to the base is a set of flames.

Wes

Dominic,
    Wow! Thats a great looking cabinet. For those of you who are interested Jim Becker designed a nice dust shrould out of plexiglass for his old Jet BS. Might still be on his website.

Dave

I keep picturing street-light drag racers. Looks like an old Chevy Nova on the outside. Inside is a nitrous oxide boosted beast.

You could win bets with that 14" Jet.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate