Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many Times Do You Have To Tell Me!!

How Many Times Do You Have To Tell Me!!

Worked in the shop 'til ~ 8:00 last evening, went to the office for the usual Fri. 6:00 to 12:00 patient load, came home to an empty house(no spouse or kids), thought I could get some uninterrupted shop time in, things in the shop seemed a bit "different", looked up at my newly organized rack of power tools---------------- and they were all gone!!
    We had a night visitor or two. They were selective enough to take only things in cases. They left the SawStop.

MORALE OF THE STORY: MAKE AN INVENTORY OF ALL YOUR STUFF AND RECORD SERIAL ##S. TAKE PICS. MARK EACH CASE WITH SOME OBNOXIOUS COLOR AND ENGRAVE AN ID ## OR NAME ON EACH TOOL. CHECK WITH YOUR INS. AGENT TO VERIFY APPROPRIATE COVERAGE.(my $1000 deductble isn't going to go far---oh I forgot, they were all Festool).

We live in a whoop-de-do community and I installed automatic gates for my drive(to keep the honest ones out) and that didn't stop the suspected methheads.

OK, NOW GET OFF YOUR COLLECTIVE COLONS AND DO AS I SAY!!

P.S.: Any one have some extra tools for sale??

Best( and better) wishes. John

I had equipment stolen not to long ago and could not find any of my serial numbers. I can really feel your pain.

Sorry for your lost tools. I've been thinking of doing an inventory, maybe this will be my motiviation. Was your shop monitored or part of your house alarm?

Greg

Blog Entries
    I rest easier with my alarm system but I hope it never gets tested. They help but like gates, they don't keep 'em out if they really want in. I got it (of course) after being burglarized, duh!. Battery back-up, cellular back-up, money off my home owners insurance for having it. Receipts for everything in the fireproof box. I should grind some identifying marks on the expensive stuff though. . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    John, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. Check your local pawn shops first. Post on Craigs list that you WTB the same tools but just give a phone#. I've got a kid that lives right behind me that tags the neighborhood and steals bikes and keeps them in his shead. I can't get any help from the police w/o catching them in the act. I hate thieves.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I feel your pain!

A good reminder to the rest of us.

Although I am a Christian and am supposed to forgive . . . . . .
    - I hope the crack head(s) cuts off a finger trying to figure out some tool.

Billbo
    Smyrna GA

Wow that's awful...its been a couple years since I did an inventory so it is a good reminder...on another note I've received conflicting info over the years as to how an insurer will place a value on tools for replacement purposes....I'm curious for to hear from those who have had a loss (fire, theft, etc) how your insurer handled the claim...I keep my receipts in addition to the serial numbers, etc, but I don't know if the receipts do much good other than giving the insurance company an idea of what I paid at the time and how old the tool was...and then I've heard that some companies will take that information, figure depreciation and say it was worth $0....

Everyones worst fear. I hope it doesn't happen again. MY stuff is in a dodgy neighbourhood with a halfway house around the corner. I keep an ultra low profile and have an alarm.

Wow, that's terrible. My mother-in-law left my house one day and left the garage door (Shop Door) WIDE OPEN.......might as well have left a sign out in the front yard. I was lucky, though, I only lost my Porter cable framing nailer and a staple gun, despite 10 or so other expensive portable tools sitting right next to them. From that day onward I inventory and document everything, including homemade jigs, etc. that have significant value to the business.

Again, my sympathies.

Michael

Your post makes my stomach turn. That and fire are my worst fears.
    I really feal for you. Sorry to read this.

So - new tool opportunity on the bright side! Still sucks.

I would let you borrow some tools until you can replace them but you are a bit far. Hope you get back on your feet soon.

Bummer. Sorry to hear about this!

But you are in luck relative to the Festool serial numbers...you can get them from Festool as you are registered automatically when you buy them. It's one of the little niceties about how they do business. You want to get that information out so that the items will be harder to fence. So call your Festool source ASAP and get the ball rolling...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John.....Sorry to hear of your loss! That's the pits!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

two words for ya! "shop dog"

Sorry to hear of your loss, that is truly unfortunate. Make sure to check pawnshops, ebay, and your local craigslist tools listings. If you find your stuff there, you may be able to get some results with the police. Our church recently had some expensive audio equipment stolen, found it for sale on ebay, and successfully prosecuted those responsible.

That said, the best solution is to prevent theft in the first place. All of my portable power tools are on shelves in a steel cabinet with a lock. I do this as much to keep my kids safe, as to prevent theft. The cabinet doesn't need to be heavy duty to be a theft deterrent. If it would take anybody more than a minute or two to get into, they'll probably leave to find an easier target.

As has been pointed out before, locks only keep the honest people out.

Good luck reclaiming your lost toys.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schneider View Post
    Wow that's awful...its been a couple years since I did an inventory so it is a good reminder...on another note I've received conflicting info over the years as to how an insurer will place a value on tools for replacement purposes....I'm curious for to hear from those who have had a loss (fire, theft, etc) how your insurer handled the claim...I keep my receipts in addition to the serial numbers, etc, but I don't know if the receipts do much good other than giving the insurance company an idea of what I paid at the time and how old the tool was...and then I've heard that some companies will take that information, figure depreciation and say it was worth $0....
    Insurance policies are much like tools in that you get what you pay for. Various levels of coverage are available.
    in the case of homeowners insurance there are generally HO-2 HO3,Ho5 and Ho-8. You need to discuss thjese with your agent to get a full explanation of the differences and how much protection you wish to purchase. The less expensive forms do not have replacement cost coverage,but will cover the depreciated cost value. The higher cost policies will provide replacement cost but you generally will have to replace the item .In all cases it is incumbant upon you to provide "proof of loss" I strongly urge everyone to have an annual review of their insurance and do not just buy insurance solely on price. Better coverage beyond just the basic particularily as regards liability is not cost prohibitive. A good agent will take take the time to evaluate your exposure(risk) and make reccomendations.