Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My New Work Bench arrived today (sort of)

1. I'm enjoying your writeup on this Harry. Do you use the dowels to keep them aligned during glueup?

Yes Steve. The 2 inch long 1/2 inch dowels on 6 inch centers are for alignment, one of the planks warped a little after planing to thickness. The dowels will not be glued in, but the planks will be glued together. I was originally going to use splines, but the difficulty of routing the grooves and keeping them straight in an experiment and the ease of drilling the dowel holes preciselly won out. I am going to take the two planks that need 14 inch long grooves for the sliding Wagon Vise up to the Blacksmith shop and make them with my Bridgeport mill to maintain accuracy. I will glue the planks up in sections and then glue the final joint last to make things easier.

This is a picture of the initial dry fit up. Finished size will be 27 3/8 by 60 + inches when I get the end battens on. I found out a local cabinet shop has a 36 inch drum sander, so I will take it to them for the final flattening.

Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I know it sucks, but here is my Super Router at work making one of the 1/2" wide by 3/4" deep slots in one pass. LOL

You can't trust a Neander with a Blacksmith shop full of toys, not to use them when needed.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 08-30-2008 at 1:59 PM.
    Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

I hope Dave the Moderator don't come down to heavy on me for using what I have to get the job done, even tho some of it isn't real Neander stuff, but its not CNC, so I might slip by.
    Jr.

I used closely spaced dowels for the slides on the sides of the Wagon Vise moving part to keep dust and swarf from binding the slides.

Jr.

6. Now that's a serious router. LOL!

8/31/08

I went to the shop this afternoon and got a partial bar of 1 inch brass rod left over from a job and bored, counter bored and tapped 3/8 NC and cut them to length some brass nuts, then faced them with the lathe for hidden bolts and nuts to secure the end battens to my Nu Bench. Nothing fancy just a quick and easy job with the Bridgeport Vertical Mill and little lathe.

Jr.

Looking Good Harry !

Nice to se so much progress on the bench. Sure must be handy to have some specialized tools and the skills to operate them. Those leg bolts look great. I think most of us will let you slide using non-neander tools. I wish I had the knowledge and access to such cool machines. Nothing wrong with letting a few electrons fly now and then.

Looking forward to more progress.

Hope the Mrs. is doing better.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

not leg bolts, they will be used to fasten the Battens on the ends of the work surface.
    Jr.

Nu Bench Glue Up photo.

1. I temporarily fastened 2 short 2 by 4's to my table saw and leveled them both by shimming, then covered the area to be used with Saran Wrap to prevent glue squeeze out from sticking to the levelers. Glued it up piece at a time to let glue dry, clamped and with 2 more short 2 by 4's on top clamped to bottom ones to keep them flat as possible. There is some slight warping of the planks after planing to thickness and aclimating before glue up prep.

Next item is prepping the ends and fastening battens on the ends prior to having the top sanded.

Jr.

Looks Good & a question

That bench top is looking good Harry.

I have a question about the handscrews hanging in your shop. You have a piece of wood clamped in them. What is the reason for it ? I have some and wonder if I should do the same.

Don, they are hung with a piece of twine on one jaw, the scantling is just so the other jaw doesn't flop around.

The smaller ones are just clamped to a scrap of 2 by with a screwed on scrap base. I alter the handles so they can be accessed easily.

Jr.

Thanks Harry

Great storage ideas there.

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    I found out a local cabinet shop has a 36 inch drum sander, so I will take it to them for the final flattening.
    Hope you have some strong neighbors, that top looks very heavy.
    Good idea about the drum sander as flattening that top with planes is slow work.

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    I hope Dave the Moderator don't come down to heavy on me for using what I have to get the job done, even tho some of it isn't real Neander stuff, but its not CNC, so I might slip by.
    A bench in itself is one of the greatest hand tools ever!

It certainly isn't easy to build a workbench with hand tools only, and especially as one gets older...I can attest to that...darn wood is heavy...

Tell me though, what's the Strasil box, looks like it says "JR's Portable Shelving, Handle With Care". I can't tell if that says "Shelving" or not...I figure it's something you take for demonstrations, but curious what it is.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/