Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My New Work Bench arrived today (sort of)

Nubench update 1/22/09

update 1/22/09

I got the Nubench Apron cut to length and rebated for the legs. Apron is one of the 10 inch by 1 3/4 inch Pin oak timbers that I didn't use to make the top. I sawed kerfs just short of the depth needed and then broke them off and used my Tenon Router to clean them up to the proper depth.

The tops of the 2 legs the Apron will span were also rebated so that the Apron will be flush with them and the top to give me the widest possible foot print for stability.

I kerfed and broke away the waste on the legs, then used my Tenon Router to pare away the waste, but on the legs due to the length of the rebate (10 inches), I did half first, then did the second half so as not to get a taper to the rebates.

I have found out that when routing tenons or rebates crossgrain that skewing the cutter and taking small cuts that I get a shearing action and thus smoother cuts even in this extremely hard old salvaged oak I am using.

I also got the bottom stretcher for the opposite side between the legs done. I am figureing the Apron will give enough stability that I won't need a stretcher at the bottom on the front side.

Last edited by harry strasil; 01-22-2009 at 2:22 PM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Well almost a year has passed since I recieved the dried timbers for my NuBench on 02/09/08. After many delays, other more important projects, and health issues for both me and my wife, The NuBench is nearing completion.

Before the Leg Assembly is actually secured to the top, the Vise Squad needs to do its thing while its still upside down and can be handled.

The Apron ready to be trial fit to the top with 1/2 dowels to prevent warping, the dowels will not be glued in place. In fact the only glue used in the Bench will be the actual glue joints in the top working surface.

The first trial fit of the legs to the top.

Progress has been slow, but its finally looking like a real Wood Working Bench.
    One of the benefits of this project is all the new tooling I purchased and made to get this project this far along. :lol:
    Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

Guess what I got accomplished today. I forgot how heavy that Turtle Vise is. going to need help now to get it back off.

Sure makes it look like I am making progress tho.
    Jr.

Hmm - Interesting color - don't think I've ever seen a white one. Is that an Emmert, a King, or one of the other early 20th century copies (so that's why it's white?), or did the pattern maker that had it think white was cool?

Its a Columbian, and that's the way it was when my old neighbor gave it to me. I can't complain, David.
    Jr.

I'm not sure about a Columbian's construction vs that of an Emmert. You would make your life a lot easier Junior if you installed and uninstalled it in pieces. When I installed mine, I installed only the inner jaw with the hinge and then did a separate installation for the tilt bar tightening assembly. My beast is 85 lb but doing it 20-30lb at a time not only was easier, but it improved the accuracy. Your back will thank you if it's done in pieces.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I did it that way Dave, just the height on top of the table saw and the close fit made it dificult to put the jaw section in for me. I actually usedd a pair of C clamp vise grips on a floor joist and a small 4 part block and tackle to wrastle it in place for the picture and then removing it, just that due to my back injury, things that used to be simple are now difficult for me. I am not afraid to call for help if I need it. Nice to have friends I have helped in the past who owe me favors.
    Jr.

Be careful on the patternmakers vise!

I set mine up left handed, but the pattern makers vise, set up in a recess on the table, allows it to be used as a face vise as well.

One problem with putting a pattern makers vise on the end of a short table, the weight of it combined with a large chunk of wood and downward pressure, can tip the table. I should have set up this table with the legs closer to the ends of the table.

As it is, I am about to build a few drawers for the other end, to add ballast.

I think you have the makings of a great table there!

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Strawn; 02-01-2009 at 3:27 AM. Reason: addition

Bob,

Looks like you also have a clone. I have seen comments from folks recently saying that the clone is not worth buying, but I have had nothing but good experiences with it.

What has your experience been with yours?
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Bob you say you set yours up left handed, I am right handed and it looks to me like yours is set up right handed so you can saw close to the vise with your right hand.

The main and only vise on my demo workbench is a Woodworking leg vise set up on one end of the narrow 12 inch wide top, so I guess it could be used by either a lefty or a righty.

This is my Grandfathers Coachmakers Vise, I guess its a right handers vise.

I have been toying with the idea of making some kind of under top slip in mount, so I am able to use it on my NuBench.
    Jr.

Hello,my first posting here. I was at Colonial Williamsburg 39 years as Musical Instrument Maker,and later as Toolmaker. I made a pair of sawhorses that are on the Fine Woodworking website,as Col. Wmsbg. sawhorses. I made them so that their splayed legs would allow them to stand vertical when set on end. Also,on end,they were the same height as the workbenches I had made. Then,in combination,a very long board could be supported nicely while sawing it into whatever lengths were needed. We were working only with 18th.C. handtools,of course,but the setup would work as well for dealing with long boards with skill saws,etc.

Vises 3 and 4 are mounted.

Jr.

Bench progress slowed down to almost a halt. First floor of house renovation and plumbing and electrical took priority, but today I spent all day moving the old bench to a new location and getting the Nu Bench off my tablesaw so I could use it again.

Lots of holes to drill now and some bolt holes to plug and finish the old style bench vise is the next order of business.

It Looks Much Better setting right side up on the floor. LOL

Jr.

I attempted a close up pic of the tight grain of the pin oak at a place I scraped. And the saw cut in wagon vise opening.

yeah, burn marks, it was some hard stuff after 8 years air drying.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 03-14-2009 at 11:33 PM.
    Jr.

If I can ask, wy so many vices on the banch??
    David