Thread: router insert on table extemsion

router insert on table extemsion

Hi folks.

Gonna be purchasing a Steel City base unit table saw model 35619. This is the base unit only w/out any Fence, rails, or extension table. A local biz is shutting down and selling all their floor model stuff. Problem is in order to turn this base unit into the desirable industrial 50" model 35619, I will need to purchase the rails, fence, and extension table seperately. These parts add up to about $500. Even so, the total cost of the base and the parts will still be about $700 less than the current selling price of the complete model 35618.

Prior to coming accross this deal, I was interested in the Grizzly G1023-SLW which is a 30"ish model w/ one of the wings machined to double as a router table; which I really like. Turns out that the Steel City is a couple hundred bucks less even after the conversion to 50". As I understand it, thiis particular Steel City model is fairly heavy duty, but it doesn't have that extra wide cast iron wing that can couble as a router table like the Grizzly does.

My questions are the following...
    • Anyone awn a Steel City that can provide any input?
    • Besmeyer, PM, or original Steel City for the fence?
    • The extentsion on the Steel City is made of high pressure laminate. Is high pressure laminate strong enough to allow for a router insert to be added to it?
    • Am I going about this the right way considering I am a beginner (although an experienced one) with two built-ins and an office/library project ahead of me.
    I assume I will be logged into this forum quite a bit over the next year and I therefore thank you in advance.

BTW... her is a link to the Steel City http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...5618/35618.pdf

Congratulations

Thats a very nice saw. Me personally I would buy an incra fence since it comes with incra rails. While I was at it I would order incras aluminum router insert its a nice product . As far a s high pressure laminate extensions there Ok but I personally made my own out of 1" 17 ply bb (It comes in 5 y 5 sheets from finland wich makes it finish ply-pun intended-)
    Table extensions can be made SO many ways and with or witjhout storage cabinets underneath.

Scott, That saw had my name on it when I drove down to the Burg to pick it up I ended up getting the one in my post " new steel city saw". They had a bunch of rails sitting there and some legs I am not sure if they had any fences or not but I bet the will give you a deal on the rails then you will just need the fence, Good people Marc is one of the founders make sure you look at all the other small stuff there

Bob

I Haven't seen the saw yet, Bob. Going tomorrow morn. Was there anything wrong w/ it? Or is it jus that you found something bigger and better?

Chuck tells me that they don't have any rails or fences left. They all got shipped to TN.

No nothing wrong I just got 2 wings the titanium top and a fence for the extra $300. Then I sold my biesemeyer fence. I love it.

Bob