Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: David Marks - Woodsniffer

David Marks - Woodsniffer

I love this show because of the IMPOSSIBLE projects he makes. My wife gives me a hard time about how weird he is and we call him the Woodsniffer. I don't have the heart to tell her I sniff wood too.

Anyone ever notice when he drills a hole he seems to have a third hand. He has both hands on the project and the drill quill magically lowers to drill the hole.
    MMMMMMMMMMMBEEEEEERRRRRRRGOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD!!! !!

I've tried for a long time to figure out his accent - can't quite pin it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Petersen View Post
    Anyone ever notice when he drills a hole he seems to have a third hand. He has both hands on the project and the drill quill magically lowers to drill the hole.

I noticed that too. I figured out, as i'm sure you did, that he has a foot pedal for his drill press.

The first time I saw that though I thought I was seeing things.. It looked like he had 3 hands.

I dunno if he sniffs wood or not, but from the few times I've met him and interacted with him through classes I've taken I can say he is a humble down to earth person. From what I recall he was raised on the east coast (Boston area), then moved to the west coast as a young guy. The drill press was a metal working drill press he bought used and is foot operated...pretty nifty. One of his former apprentices is known as the Wood Whisperer however...

Norm beat him up and chased him to the west coast.

David is a very warm and engaging fellow. I had the pleasure to meet him a few years ago at the AAW symposium in Orlando.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I met David at last year's Vegas show. Great guy; very down to earth. Considering he was "royalty" as the show, he took time to speak with everyone who came up to him. I had the impression he still cannot believe so many people know him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    Norm beat him up and chased him to the west coast.
    Sorry...I got a chuckle from that one.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Sorry...I got a chuckle from that one.

Gary
    Leave Bahstan, Dave, and don't return.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Third hand

Joe,he has a foot operated drill press.He can use his foot or the hand to lower the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Petersen View Post
    I don't have the heart to tell her I sniff wood too.
    You better be careful! Judging from some of the dust collection threads I have read, that practice is deadly.

I wish DIY would film new edpisodes of his show and release the old ones on DVD. At one point I had the whole series on my DVR, DVR broke, I cried for days. He presents such a comprehansive array of advanced woodworking techniques over the course of the series its like a complete basic education. Each time I watch one of his shows, even the ones I have seen 10X, I pick up something new. No other national woodworking broadcast even comes close (sorry Norm). Don't actually care for much of the furniture made on the show but the inspiration he gives through making it is invaluable.

Found myself bidding on a 16" Northfield jointer once on e-bay after watching him skew some figured wood on his jointer, realized getting a 2400# machine down my steep bilco stairs would present a serious mechanical challenge! Next episode he used a card scraper and a smooth plane to do the same work, much easier to carry!

I like watching David Marks but most of the things he makes I find a little to exotic for my taste. Great show though.

I wouldn't say DJM's projects are impossible. Most of them are definitely challenging. Personally, I think he's great and I thoroughly enjoy his show. I think there are a total of 96 episodes that finished up in 2005. I haven't seen nearly all of them. I keep falling asleep when he's on at midnight (like last night). I'm seriously considering buying a DVR just to record Woodworks and New Yankee Workshop because I can rarely catch them and I learn so much from both shows.

I did catch an episode of Woodworks recently where David used his table saw to cut a cove. He clamped a wooden fence diagonally on his Uni-Saw. He then ran the stock over the top of the blade at a sharp angle. I literally sat up and took notice when I saw this. I could imagine a hundred people giving a hundred reasons why it shouldn't be done. But you know what? It worked beautifully!

The only woodworking style I'm not keen on is the "ultra-modern" look. Even some of those examples I can appreciate. I kinda like the exotic, Egyptian flare of David's designs. I'm scheduled to attend his inlay class this month. I'm really looking forward to it!

Speaking of inlays.

I just finished watching DM build a cherry corner table. It had a solid wood top with an ebony inlay. A couple of things bothered me on that project.

First, with the ebony long grain going across the grain of the cherry, wouldn't that cause a problem with expansion and contraction? Wouldn't the ebony crack in the summer when the cherry expands?

Second, he used figure eights to secure the top. The long grain of the top was parallel to the front apron. He put figure eights on the 2 90 degree aprons which makes sense but he also put one on the front apron. It would appear to me that the expansion and contraction force would be totally opposed to that figure eight.

He is the expert but those things did make me wonder. Did anyone else see that episode? What did you think?

Toney