Thread: powermatic planer model 15 question?

powermatic planer model 15 question?

Hi all,
    This is my first post here. I am looking at upgrading my planer and found a powermatic model 15 for $800. I went and looked at it yesterday and this is what I found, all three blades had nicks in them and the bed showed some wear, lines on the surface, also no dust collection cover. He said it had only been used on one project, obviously not the truth. Is it still possible to get parts for this planer as they don't make it any more and what do you think of the deal? Right now I have a 12 makita/6 joiner combo.
    thanks Steve

It is one of the current offerings, although they do come with a lot of options as well (spiral head, indexed cutters, etc.)

I'd give PM a call and find out how much that DC hood will cost to replace parts wise. The bed damage sounds very minor and shouldn't affect performance in the least.

With the replacement price in mind, I'd go back and ask whether that's the best price given the $xxx replacement cost for the DC hood. The reason I suggest this is that I suspect that part will not be cheap and with shipping may run to $100 or more.

Plus, changing blades / getting a new set (depending on severity of the nicks) is a pain and may cost a few bucks.

G'luck.

mike