Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steel Straight Edge

Steel Straight Edge

Looking for a source for a 4' steel straight edge. Spendy aren't they.
    I used to just take it from day to day, and now I just take it till noon.

Straightedges

Mark,

Look for a store that sells wallpaper tools to professionals, and ask for a paperhanger's straightedge. They are very good and don't cost an arm and a leg. I have used one for about 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bachler

Starrett makes very nice ones and they are expensive. I have a 3' one from them...has served me well.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

You have to pick your straight edge based on what you will be demanding from it. For tool setup and maintenance, no question, you need a higher qualitiy one than you might settle for for layout work. The Starrett that Chris mentions falls into the former catagory and should be very suitable for checking your machines.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a 4' Starret straight edge. They're usually around $200 sometimes less if you look hard. Great device for machine setup though.

I invested, cause they aren't cheap either, in a Stabila level. They are guaranteed for life...and machined flat. At least flat enough for setting up machines for woodworking AND using them for what levels are made for. If you need more...Starrett is the way to go.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo
    I invested, cause they aren't cheap either, in a Stabila level. They are guaranteed for life...and machined flat. At least flat enough for setting up machines for woodworking AND using them for what levels are made for. If you need more...Starrett is the way to go.
    Called "everywhere" in the Bay Area looking for one - finally got my 3' Starrett ($124) from www.mscdirect.com. Three days from the time I place the order.

Try http://www.mscdirect.com/IWCatSectio...=84&View.x.y=8
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

While your at the MSC site, do a search for Pre-Hardened Ground Flat Stock. A 36" x 3" x 1/4" piece is $77. Lots of other sizes also.

Brian

A normal 4' level is as straight an edge as any woodworker would ever need. You can buy one at any HD or Lowes. Just look them over, hold one against the other in case there is a dog in the pile.

aluminum straight edge

I recently set up an 8" jointer using a cheap readily available aluminum straight edge. I picked up a 4' straight edge from Sears for about $8, then brought it in to my workplace and checked it out on a large granite surface plate. It checked out to within the .0015" feeler gauge. It wasn't very stiff laterally, but it did the job I needed it to.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McAtee
    A normal 4' level is as straight an edge as any woodworker would ever need. You can buy one at any HD or Lowes. Just look them over, hold one against the other in case there is a dog in the pile.
    For woodworking, absolutely. For machine setup, such as jointer alignment, no. Most "normal" 4' levels are not straight enough for that task, even before you drop them. You truely need to check the edge first as described in Jay's reply before you depend upon it...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bachler
    There is a old saying:

Buy once, cry once, I have a 6 foot Starrett. You'd be surprised on oftern it is used for other task than machinery set up in the shop.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Goddard
    I recently set up an 8" jointer using a cheap readily available aluminum straight edge. I picked up a 4' straight edge from Sears for about $8, then brought it in to my workplace and checked it out on a large granite surface plate. It checked out to within the .0015" feeler gauge. It wasn't very stiff laterally, but it did the job I needed it to.

Jay
    That is real good, Jay! Starrett guarantees 0.0002" (0.2 mil or 5 microns or 0.005 mm) per 12".

Now when you drop it...better check it again!

I made a nice little MDF box to protect my Starrett straight-edge. It could also use some little feet to keep it from tipping over. You bang one corner of that straight-edge, kiss that 0.2mil/12" goodbye....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have the 3 foot Starrett, bevel edged, graduated, straight edge. Bought it used for $35 (smile). I made a holder for it on the inside of the rail of my workbench, so it is handy, but nothing can drop on it. I am careful with it as I couldn't afford to replace it with a new one.

Here's the best deal I could find: Starrett 48" beveled 1 edge, no graduation. $183

http://www.msiviking.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=385-48
    I used to just take it from day to day, and now I just take it till noon.