Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Steel Straight Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    If your just building things like a carpenter, sure, a $20 piece of aluminumm extrusion may suffice.
    But if your going to do fine woodworking where everybody can see your joints....
    That's me, all right. Just a glorified form carpenter.

Best in Show awards and financial success are beyond my wildest dreams.

Rebuilding old iron is one thing, but woodworking and basic machine setup...even the jointer... is another. Now, I might write this silly Starrett commercial off to unique, obsessive personalities if y'all are also correcting the grain runout in all your stock in both dimensions so it moves seasonally to a uniform geometric standard equal to the tolerances you think you are achieving.

But you're probably not. You're probably using your stock in whatever configuration it was milled at, and your wood is moving not only more seasonally than the tolerances you are bragging on, but it's moving unequally along its length to greater than those tolerances.

Moreover, if you are also following today's common Normite tradition of not thinking past your nose to the guy who has to repair or restore your work some day, and are using nonrepairable glues, finishes difficult to remove, nails where there should be screws and gizmo joinery, then none of this matters because your work won't survive long enough for you to have an impact.

Recommending someone throw money at their perceived shortcomings is common enough today, but never works.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 11-18-2007 at 9:33 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Best in Show awards and financial success are beyond my wildest dreams

Wow...and your modest.too

IIRC We are talking about straight edges. Using a carpenters tool to adjust machinery is not a wise choice. Also, demeaning other woodworker's, like Norm, does not reflect well IMNSHO.

Gary
    Last edited by Gary Keedwell; 11-18-2007 at 9:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    ... demeaning other woodworker's, like Norm, does not reflect well IMNSHO.
    "Carpenter" was your thought, not mine. I'm a boat carpenter. Norm'd be the first to tell you he's a finish carpenter by trade, and that's how he builds. I doubt he owns a Starrett either. I guess that makes neither of us are capable of "...fine woodworking where everybody can see your joints....".
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Originally Posted By Bob Smalser
    Moreover, if you are also following today's common Normite tradition of not thinking past your nose to the guy who has to repair or restore your work some day
    Wow, first knocking ...then aligning yourself, with Normy. :>).

Whatever...Don't want a rock throwing contest. Nobody here, me included, were knocking carpenters. All were talking about is straightedges. There are many levels of woodworkers. There are many level of carpenters. There are many tools of varying accuracy. I had my trusty carpenters level for years and figured it would be good enough to set my jointer tables co-plane. After a week of frustration I finally ordered a starrett straightedge.
    Buying another Starrett tool wasn't a stretch for me because in a prior life I was a 1st class machinist. Not a CNC machinist, but an old fashioned hands-on type machinist.
    Maybe most hobbyist woodworkers would find the price high but now manufacturers are making good straightedges at a fair price. Lee Valley is one. All I can say is ....use the right tool for the right job.

PS. I am proud to be a Normite.

Gary
    Last edited by Gary Keedwell; 11-19-2007 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    All he owned was a hand saw, hammer and a folding ruler. I would give anything to be a woodworker like that.
    Give me all your best power tools and then I'll give you a hand saw, hammer, and a folding ruler

sorry couldn't resist

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Vanbokklen View Post
    Give me all your best power tools and then I'll give you a hand saw, hammer, and a folding ruler

sorry couldn't resist
    LOL That's a good one. But I really do admire people who can make alot of stuff with limited resources.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Vanbokklen View Post

sorry couldn't resist
    Yes! But it’s not the tools, it’s the knowledge.

Sorry! Couldn't resist

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Dave, the one thing that some folks want a very accurate straight edge for isn't to do anything with wood, per se...it's to do machine setup and maintenance, particularly with regard to table alignment on tools like the jointer.
    Jim!

My point was the old time woodworkers did not need one because they did not use or depend on a power tool like a jointer. Just good old woodworking wisdom.

I don't know if anyone noticed that is is an OLD thread being brought up from 2004! Since then, I've acquired the 50" aluminum straight-edge from Veritas/Lee Valley. It is great for setting up jointer knives as I like to adjust the table such that the knives just barely nick the straight-edge. You will not want to do that with a steel straight-edge!!

I think straight-edges are great--once you have one you'll find all kinds of great uses for it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Woodpecker has a nice rule, but have you thought about an aluminum straight edge? Try Highland woodworking:
    http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...S&Category=209
    about $80 for a 50" $46 for a 38" - no ruler.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Woodpecker has a nice rule, but have you thought about an aluminum straight edge? Try Highland woodworking:
    http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...S&Category=209
    about $80 for a 50" $46 for a 38" - no ruler.
    That's not bad. Milled to .003 over 50" is plenty accurate .

Gary

I do believe those are Lee Valley straight edges.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work