Thread: Y.a.t.p.h.

Y.a.t.p.h.

Yet another tooth pick holder - seems to be a lot of these being done lately...

This is the first useful project off the lathe. Still taking baby steps into the Vortex. Grabbed the Wood mag article I heard about here and did my own version, substituting an oak-walnut glue up for the body, to match the salt and pepper shakers my dad made us a few years ago (circa 2004) and the matching napkin holder I did (circa 2007). Lid and cup are cherry, finial a piece of walnut. Finished with some Renaissance Wax I had on the shelf - not sure I like it as a finish though. Comments and critiques welcome - I know you guys here speak the truth when it's asked for!

ToothPickHolder 002 (Small).jpg ToothPickHolder 003 (Small).jpg ToothPickHolder 004 (Small).jpg
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

Steve great job on the tootpick holder. I like the different woods and it does match the S/P mills. I use Antique Oil on mine or lacquer. I am just not a wax fan. Looks like it has a soft finish though.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Blog Entries
    Great job matching it up Steve. I'm with Bernie on the finish I like the Antique Oil also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Steve, nice match to the existing goodies... you guys doing these as your "first projects" and looking this good are making me wonder what's in store down the road .

I like the renaissance wax... but I put it on heavy and friction buff it... let it sit for a few hours then Beall buff....

Thanks, guys. I'll have to grab some antique oil on my next store run. How do you apply it: rub it on while spinning?

>> Beall Buff

Great, more money I need to spend...
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

Really nice. The glueup looks good, and now you have a nice matching kitchen set!

I don't like the wax. For something that's that handled and used, I'd go with some Minwax wipe on poly and then buff it in about a week. Nice durable glossy finish.