Thread: Camper question (I know, not woodworking)

Camper question (I know, not woodworking)

I know it's not a woodworking question, but the camper forum I tried won't let me post, even after registering. And people here have quite the diverse backgrounds/knowledge.

Thinking of buying a pop-up camper, and the one I'm looking at doesn't have a front storage box - a box that sits across the hitch onthe camper...gives lots of extra storage.

Where on the web can you find these things. You can buy just about anything on the web, but I can't find a dealer which sells 'pop-up camper acccessories'.

Any suggestions? (Besides the E-Bay, Craig's list, etc...) Thanks,

Perry

Perry

There's a business called Southern mobile home and RV supply here in Lake Charles, La. They also have a location in Sulphur, La. I bought several things from them when I was installing living quarters in a horse trailer a few years ago. I don't think they have a website but the phone numbers for the two locations are:
    337-527-7153
    337-478-7278
    Maybe they can ship to you if they have what you want or they might be able to refer you to someone else that can help.

If you are into the idea of building a custom one, check out the past forum threads on www.fiberglassrv.com.

These folks aren't into pop-up campers, but there is a lot of crossover.

However, if you've ever considered a Scamp, Casita, Boler or a host of other small fiberglass trailers, the site is a wealth of info.

Woodalls.com has a huge RV membership/forum. Youi might try them.
    I cut it twice and it's still too short.

I thought about purchasing a camper on a few different occassions. My better half is working for a camper and RV service center. After talking with here during her work day at the center she and her employer suggest to look for something other than a used pop-up. I questioned that, and they (after looking over his shoulder) said if the cables that are used to assist the raising of the pop-up ever brake or become dislodged within the shell there is no way to repair this, without dismantaling the camper. And the cost per hour times the time needed is almost equal to the camper value.
    EPILOG LEGEND 32 60 WATT, CORELDRAWX5, PhotoGraV2.11, strip heater, PUNTA GORDA, FLORIDA

How about just using a diamond plate aluminum truck tool box? There are a lot of different sized ones and I'd bet you can find one that would work for you.

We don't have one either and our tounge area is too busy between the battery, propane, and crank mechanism to have one. I bought a rolling plastic tool box from Black and Decker that works great for the extension cords, tools, and what not that we would probably put in outside storage if we had it. I did find room for the 4" pvc with screw on caps at both ends pole storage unit that many people build.

I've never heard of the problem James mentioned, but if it did happen I can see how it would be a bear to deal with. You should be able to inspect most of the length of the cables if it is a concern.

we have a small (8 foot) box pop-up that we pull with our dodge caravan, and we have a great time camping. I read a thread somewhere where a guy detailed building his own storage box. First he mount a hitch reciever at the rear of the popup and mounted the box behind the pop up but he said that really screwed up how the trailer handled because the trailer was too rear heavy and there wasn't enough tongue weight so then he lengthed the front neck of the trailer and mounted it up front.

Anyway good luck. We bought our popup used for about 1500 and have never regretted it.

When I wanted to put a box on the tongue of my flatbed tractor-hauler, I went to Lowes and bought a big plastic locking job-box. It is maybe 30" long by 24" wide by 24" high or thereabouts. I simply through-bolted it to the trailer frame using some big fender washers on the inside. Works great and the cost was very low.
    Doyle