Thread: Router newbie...need advice please!

Router newbie...need advice please!

Hi, I came across this forum when trying to figure out why my bit is slipping on my brand new router, I'm hoping someone can tell me what might be going on.
    I'm an artist and have been cutting all my wood shapes using a jigsaw and a rotozip saw (don't laugh) for the past 15 years or so. I was not aware a router could be used to cut things out, I thought it was just for making the decorative cuts... Duh.
    I had been watching vids on youtube from a great guy that makes signs and he shows how to cut the wood shapes using a router with templates and template guides and I felt familiar with the process.
    I ordered a new Porter cable 693 LR router with fixed and plunge base because I have some inside areas to cut, a PC template guide and whiteside bit - O-Flute with Spiral Up Cut 1/4-Inch Cutting Diameter and 3/4-Inch Cutting Length, all from Amazon.
    Got all set up and after just a few seconds of use, I feel it start dragging and stop to check and the bit has slipped down.
    I stop, reset the bit...all the way down then pull out 1/16" of an inch or so, retighten collet and the same thing happens.
    I have checked and rechecked, tightened and retightened, searched online, tried to call PC and their mysterious customer service that I can't seem to get through and now I'm here.
    Do you think it is just a defective collet? I went ahead and ordered a new PC collet and waiting for it to get here.
    I know this will make my cutting so much easier if I can just get the collet to stay.
    I didn't order anything refurbished, everything was new. thoughts? Thanks so much!

What are the router shaft and collet diameters? Maybe there is some shipping grease that is still left on either? Is there a locking mechanism, what I mean is when you begin tightening, a locking mechanism engages to securely tighten. It seems like you are doing things properly. I don't have this router, so I am just throwing things out that may be causing the issues.

It could be the collet or you might have an undersized bit. Do you have any way to accurately measure it?
    You should also try thoroughly cleaning the collet assembly with acetone or some other solvent.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I'm using the 1/4" collet...not sure about the collect shaft? and the shank on the bit is 1/4"... I don't have any kind of tool or anything that you use to measure the bit. Ok on cleaning, I do have acetone, I will try that tomorrow, just wipe it with the acetone or submerge?

You could be putting the bit too far into the collet it doesn't have to be all the way in. If there is a shoulder on the shaft at the intersection of the bit you could be tightening on that and not the shaft. I'd also try a different bit to see if that alleviates the problem. Take light passes - you are correct that routers are generally not used for through cutting material but it can be done if the material is held properly. If you are plunging in to go through do it in several light passes.

Good luck, CJ

I think you're under-tightening.
    Get those 2 wrenches on the motor and collet nuts.
    Now squeeze them, one handed, together, at least to 15 pounds.

I had the same problem on a new Porter cable 890. This was a month or two ago. I had another router to finish my job so out it on hold. I also bought a new collet just in case but I haven't tried it yet. Curious if you find a solution. I'll see if I can mess with it over the weekend and maybe we can solve this.

thanks for all the suggestions, I will try cleaning, check bit placement and make sure tight. New collet should arrive today, can't wait to check it out. Thanks!!

Just wanted to report back to y'all about the slipping bit with my new router. Amazon gave me a partial credit since I didn't want to send the whole router back but felt it was a collet issue. I ordered a replacement collet with my credit and so far so good! I'm doing everything as before and the bit is staying put when cutting out my wood shapes. Yay! Thanks again for all your input!

Thanks for letting us know. I'm glad you got it worked out.
    Happy routering!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney