Thread: Anyone seen a turning too like this before??

Anyone seen a turning too like this before??

EDIT: I'm a spelling whiz, can't cha tell??

This tool was in a bunch of parts in a bag that came with my lathe when I bought it. The guy I bought it from was the grandson of the original owner, and didn't know much about the lathe. I quite honestly didn't come across the tool until recently. It was in a box of stuff, and I thought it was a part to the craftsman router crafter that came with the lathe for fluting spindles.

I'm assuming this is some sort of hollowing tool, and judging by the recesses milled out of the hexagonal aluminum stock, it was meant to be attatched to something--like an elbow/articulated hollowing arm of some sort. There were also parts of what I think is some sort of hollowing system, but I don't know how it all fits together. Something is apparently missing to fit it together. I'll post pictures of that sometime later. Batteries died in the camera as I was in the shed taking pictures. I included a few different views of the tool; it appears to be extruded aluminum for the handle, with set screws for the roughly 3/16" by 1/2" HSS (I think its HSS) blade, that seems to have been sharpened with a honing stone or ultra fine grit sandpaper; no grinding marks. Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has any info on it. I don't think its safe for me to use without attatching it to something on the back end; With the blade retracted into itself, it is only 8 3/4" long. I'm a newbie, more or less, and need a little more than that as a handle to feel comfortable.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nathan Hawkes; 02-11-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Nathan, it looks to me like a homemade tool, put into a piece of channel for a handle.
    Not knowing how long the cutter is, I can't tell, but that's what it looks like to me.
    Maybe someone else can really help you.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

The cutter is almost the full length of the handle. I didn't think it was homemade because of the tolerances--it perfectly fits the cutter inside the central channel, and some bolts that weren't pictured very perfectly fit inside the grooves in either side. HTH with the explanation.

Smile tool id

it looks like the cutter of a copier i have something very similar on my copier hope this helps

i agree with the cutter head on a copier (duplicator). The tip looks similar to a duplicator that I tried a few months ago

Cutter for a copier/duplicator was my first thought.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

It belongs to a Sears lathe copy crafter, for copying spindles on a lathe.

no kidding. So it was more or less part of the "router crafter" attatchment. I have absolutely no info on the lathe copy crafter, just the router crafter; I suppose those can be found online somewhere. Thanks very much. I knew someone had to know what it was from!! Youdaman, Bill.

Router crafter??

I have a router lathe, but no tool like that. The sears router lathe was made by Vermont American and cannot use static tools. Interesting tool though, Does it have a handle? The cutter reminds me of the Elsworth hollowing tools cutter. very interesting.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Hawkes View Post
    no kidding. So it was more or less part of the "router crafter" attatchment. I have absolutely no info on the lathe copy crafter, just the router crafter; I suppose those can be found online somewhere. Thanks very much. I knew someone had to know what it was from!! Youdaman, Bill.

Nathan....NOT A ROUTER CRAFTER......A COPY LATHE CRAFTER.....A DUPLICATING LATHE.......for making multiples of a spindle turning.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Right. I understand. I should have made it clear that there were also parts for the copy crafter in the router crafter bo that I received when I bought the lathe. The copy crafter, was, unfortunately, not at all complete. By more or less I meant not an additional tool, and not for stand alone use. I know they are different products. Its a pity I didn't have all the stuff for the copy crafter, as it seems like a quality product for the money it costs.