Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Dust Collection Performance using Dylos Meter

Living Room & Shop Charts

I posted this elsewhere a few days ago so I'll just copy it here. It's pretty much self-explanatory but there are a few comments to link it into the thread. I have the 0.5/5 micron unit with computer port.

You won't see any furnace cycling in the house measurements. My furnace has a two-speed fan and runs continuously all year long. I have an electronic air cleaner on the cold air return to the furnace with a reusable electrostatic filter in front for a prefilter.

You will see reinforcement of the impact in the house of showers, cooking and opening the door and allowing infiltration of outside air.

You will see reinforcment of the increase in fine particle counts due to RH from a weather system moving in overnight.

You will also see reinforcement that even a small dust collector with a decent filter on it acts as a passable air cleaner. I have a cheap 1HP King with a 1 micron upper bag and clear plastic lower bag. It pulls the fine particle count down nicely when it's running. Even my 2 1/2" shop vacuum with HEPA filter in it will pull the count down a little as long as the exhause isn't pointed at a dust pile.

It's still too cold here on the Canadian prairies (great plains) to do outdoor readings for correlation purposes.

-------------
    Okay, I finally got around to cleaning up the spreadsheets and grabbing the charts. I have a couple from the living room and a couple from the shop.

The first is 24 hours from the living room, starting monitoring at 8:12am.

The early spikes between 1 and 658 are mainly from the front door opening. The one at 74 is someone taking a shower.

The big jump at 658 was preparing supper. There was a break in the reading while I saved the data and fiddled with the spreadsheet for a few minutes at the point where it drops way back just after 804. I'm not sure why the straight drop instead of a gradual decline.

The gradual increase, starting at 1023 is overnight. The only explanation I can think of is that a serious weather system moved in overnight. The spike at 1461 was leaving the house to head for the gym (front door opening). The final spike at 1534 was from taking a shower.

Here is another 12 hours from the living room, starting monitoring at 10:50am.

This one looks much smoother than it really was. That huge spike at 417 was sauteeing onions in the frying pan at supper time. It spiked so high (over 8800) that the scaling on the chart makes the rest of the readings look much smoother than they really were. If I chopped that part of the chart off, you would see bumps throughout the day from the front door opening, showers and other typical daytime activities.

One of the things that would show up much more significantly is when I came in from the shop (235 to 270) and sat in a chair near the unit. It's surprising how much dust comes back in on your clothes and hair, and also how long it persists. I sat near the unit for nearly an hour and the reading stayed up. It didn't start to drop back down until I left the room.

Here is approx. 8 hours in the shop, starting at 4:35pm.

I entered the shop and puttered for a few minutes. Fired up the big shop vacuum and cleaned up a bit around the lathe. Then I ran a 10' flex hose extension over to the lathe. I turned on the dust collector at 30. You see the spike and then a steady decline. During that decline I was turning a couple of small spindle items, including some sanding.

The bump in the downslope at 65 was a quick cut on the mitre saw. I turned the dust collector off and left the shop at the 135 mark. The rest was reading in the empty shop. You can see two distinctly different trend lines. In the small particle chart you can see the reading climb. I assume that's the fine dust starting to settle closer to the meter. If I had been sitting in the shop I'm sure I would also be able to identify bumps from the construction heater going on and off.

The trend on the large particle chart is a steady decline. I assume that's also settling, in this case onto flat surfaces where they stay and are not disturbed by the heater fan.

Finally, another 4 hours in the shop, starting at 1:52pm.

You can see a bit of a drop in the small particles when I turned the dust collector on at 10. The spike at 15 is a quick cut on the mitre saw followed by rounding off a small bowl blank on the bandsaw. I was turning the small bowl blank then I stopped, turned the dust collector off and left the shop at 109. I came back into the shop at 220 and turned the dust collector on for a few minutes just to see what would happen. Finally I turned the dust collector off and stopped monitoring.

It has mostly been too cold to do any baseline readings outside. The documentation with the meter warns against running it when it's too cold so I haven't.

...ken...

Great data Ken! Thanks for sharing. How big is your shop?

Greg

3. Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    Great data Ken! Thanks for sharing. How big is your shop?

Greg
    Hi Greg,

The inside measurements are 17' x 31'. The height averages about 10'. It has a vaulted ceiling (scissor trusses). The peak is 11' and the tops of the walls are 9½'. You can see more of it here if you're interested.

The Dylos was sitting near the centre of the shop about 4' above the floor. I have a bit of a problem in positioning it where I want it. The only serial-to-USB adapter I could find in town is 18" long so I'm restricted to placing it somewhere that both the Dylos and the laptop will sit side by side. I have a 9-pin serial cable but it doesn't work for some reason. I guess I'll have to break down and build one so I can have some more flexibility where I put the particle counter when I'm doing real-time capture with the computer.

...ken...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ganshirt View Post
    Hi Greg,

The inside measurements are 17' x 31'. The height averages about 10'. It has a vaulted ceiling (scissor trusses). The peak is 11' and the tops of the walls are 9½'. You can see more of it here if you're interested.

The Dylos was sitting near the centre of the shop about 4' above the floor. I have a bit of a problem in positioning it where I want it. The only serial-to-USB adapter I could find in town is 18" long so I'm restricted to placing it somewhere that both the Dylos and the laptop will sit side by side. I have a 9-pin serial cable but it doesn't work for some reason. I guess I'll have to break down and build one so I can have some more flexibility where I put the particle counter when I'm doing real-time capture with the computer.

...ken...
    Thanks Ken,

It looks like your dust collection is working pretty well for you. Nice shop by the way.

You probably just need a null modem adapter for the serial cable. It will switch the tx and rx signals.

Greg

5. March 14 - A Day in the Shop

It was the Dylos particle counter that spent the day in the shop, not me! I was in and out and did a little bit of sawdust creation. I left the Dylos running the rest of the time to get an idea of settling times and other particle behaviours.

Here's the chart, for 18 hours on March 14.

I came into the shop, started up the computer and Dylos and puttered for a bit. You can see a bit of a bump at the start as I was moving around and clearing some work space to start a small project (funeral urn for a good friend). Then I get sidetracked and had to leave the shop for a few hours.

I came back into the shop at about 160. You can see the count start to move up as I dug through the wood pile to pick out a good board. The first big spike at around 190 is a couple of crosscuts with the circular saw to break the board down so I could get the short pieces comfortably onto my mitre saw stand. The immediately following big spike at 200 is using the mitre saw to cut the boards to rough length. I have the shop vacuum hooked to the mitre saw but as you can see from the spike, the mitre saw is still messy.

I turned on the dust collector (1HP King with 1 micron upper bag and plastic lower bag) right after the the mitre saw cut. The flex hose was just lying on the floor at that point. I left to do something in the house.
    When I came back in the shop at about 220 I connected the DC to the jointer and jointed a straight edge on the boards. Then I connected the DC to the tablesaw and the shop vacuum to the Shark Guard. I ripped the boards to width. Then I moved the DC hose to the jointer and jointed one face of the boards flat. That was a total of a little over five linear feet of 5/4 walnut on each operation.

The ripping was at 230 and the face jointing at 238. This is an interesting result. You can see a slight bump in the steep downward slope at that point, but the dust collector and Shark Guard with shop vacuum seemed to contain things fairly well and so the tablesaw did not make another big spike as I had been expecting it might. The jointer didn't have much impact at all. The counts continue to drop pretty steeply as the dust collector continues to run until 255. That's when I turned off the dust collector.

You can see the flattening of the curve from 255 that shows the settling continues but without the help of the dust collector the count is not dropping as fast.

At 318 I came back in the shop and turned the dust collector on. You can see the curve start to dive down again as the DC does a fairly decent job as an air cleaner. I left the DC running with the flex hose lying open on the floor for an hour and forty-five minutes. When I came back into the shop to turn it off at 430, the fine counts were down to 18. In reviewing the data, the fine count had been down under 100 since 374. So it took about an hour for the dust collector to pull the fine counts down from 650 to under 100.

After turning the DC off at 430, the fine count creeps back up a bit. When I checked an hour and a half later at 512, the count had crept back up to 80. Over the next ten hours overnight the fine count moved back up to 150.

...ken...
    Last edited by Ken Ganshirt; 03-16-2008 at 11:03 PM.

ken..... interesting data

....regarding your posting today (March 16) some observations:

miter saw and circular saw don't just throw off 'big' particles but lots of .5 and under stuff

dust collection at source seems to be confirmed as a very effective way of preventing readings from going to the "very poor" part of the scale

what I found new/surprising in this data:

even without any dust collector/ambient air filtration running, even the small dust particles - under .5 micron - seem to fall from a very poor rating (+3000) to high end of "fair" (300-1050) within a relatively short (?) period of time........ some of the background reading I had done suggested that particles under .5 stay suspended in the air for days.

..... interesting that a 1 hp dust collector w/ 1 micron bag seems to operate with effect as an ambient air filter

the computer linkage of the Dylos provides some eye-popping documentation

thanks for taking the time to post

michael (who has a 1/5 Dylos monitor)

Michael,

One correction .. my Dylos is not counting paricles smaller than 0.5 microns. It's counting particles bigger than 0.5 microns. I understand what you are saying about settling times, but I still have no idea what is happening to the stuff smaller than 0.5 microns. I don't know whether it is being reduced in a similar amount or whether it's still a big number. This can be a concern because the stuff at 0.3 microns is supposed to be some of the most worrisome.

It appears that the dust collector is working in a very similar fashion to an air cleaner. That should be no real surprise when we think about it. Even my 1HP with a 10' x 4" flex hose attached should be pulling in 400cfm or better. That's not shabby for an air cleaner. One major difference is that it's exhausting in all directions through the top filter bag so dedicated circulation patterns should not have as good a chance to develop. That's a good thing. Another difference is that most of the air cleaners I've seen come standard with 5 micron filters. My filter bag is supposed to be 1 micron. With the cake it currently has, it appears to be filtering smaller than that.

We can also see from the overnight creep back up that there's still a lot of stuff being held in suspension away from the particle counter that starts to drift back to the counter as soon as the DC is turned off. I'm sure that's because the fan in the counter starts to act like a mini air cleaner without filters. Once the air in the shop is calm, the Dylos starts to "vacuum" any of the fine stuff that is in reach of its fan as it settles out of any suspension patterns the DC created while it was running. Also, the fan in the electric construction heater will keep stirring things up each time it runs.

I think I'm going to start a new thread with my next charts. This one is so long that most people will miss these latest postings. When I came back tonite I couldn't find my latest charts or the later postings. The normal navigation only shows about six pages worth of postings in a thread. You have to know how to get past that to find the rest and it's far from intuitive ... I've never seen anything like it and I've been using bulletin boards and forums for over 25 years!

...ken...