Thread: Lumber Score & Creeker Meeting

Talking Lumber Score & Creeker Meeting

Well, if you remember the post from Chris Bruno the other day about whether he should build his workbench from some reclaimed oak he scored. He posted that it had come from an old paper mill which a machine shop was renovating and was tearing the stuff down.

Today I took a 45 minute detour on my way home and met Chris. After loading him up with 8 more boards of his own, we commenced to loading me with 20 of them.

They range from 2 to 4 inches thick, 7.75 to 10 inches wide, and from 10 feet to 15 feet long. Altogether I wound up with about 465 board feet of some old oak. The "big" board is 4 inches thick by 9.75 inches wide and just a tad over 15 feet wide. Chris saw it and was like...."ooohhh, you want this one!!!" So I had to take it!

The photos are of me and Chris on "the find", another shot of the lumber pile (and there's more to the right of the photo), and a shot of my haul.

Thanks for Chris for the tip (and the help loading). It was great meeting him and talking while we loaded the wood.

Be well,

Doc

OH, the haul cost $200 so that comes out to about 43 cents a board foot! There's lots more left but I don't have room for what I brought home so don't think I'll be getting any more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome.

By the way, if anyone in the Georgia area scores lumber like that, and wants to share, by all means, let me know....

HEY!

I was there today as well. What time did you guys stop by? Judging by the picture of the pile, you guys were there after I left.

I had one of those long ones picked out for myself, but I was too chicken to try to haul it home in my short bed pickup.

Man, I wanna come! Oh yeah, I'm not nearby lol, good find!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Engel View Post
    HEY!

I was there today as well. What time did you guys stop by? Judging by the picture of the pile, you guys were there after I left.

I had one of those long ones picked out for myself, but I was too chicken to try to haul it home in my short bed pickup.
    Mark, I showed up about 3:15 - Chris had gotten there just a few minutes before me.

So what did YOU score???

Be well,

Doc

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=77104

I got there right around noon.

I only got 10 this trip. It was all the cash I could come up with, since my Wife is taking a trip to California next week.

When I got home I found a nice rebate check in todays mail. I may have to go back and get some more.

Were you able to negotiate the price a little? I hate to be greedy, but, well, no, I like to be greedy. Sue me.

The first time I went, I got them for $10 per board and it worked out to about .60 / bd ft. I don't think he believed that he had enough interest to justify his pricing. I think he's drummed up enough interest since me (wonder how that happened? ) that he was a little more resolute in his pricing.

Also, because his price is per board, if you haul the big lumber you can definitely do a lot better on the bd.ft values - Don's massive timber is a good example... THAT THING WAS HUGE! (by my calculations, that board was nearly 45 bd ft all by itself!)

This time I paid slightly more per board, but slightly less per board foot because I was taking the 11-12 footers.

Don made a comment that was roughly to the effect of "Even if some of these boards can't be used for the kitchen, the oak will make great firewood." To which I responded "this is probably cheaper than firewood." So, I suppose I might have been able to pickup more wood for the same price, but I'm happy with what I have.

-Chris

O man, you guys suck . Great haul!!!! I would like to have a find like that here in sunny Fl., but if I got to much I would have too use it to build the proverbial “DOG HOUSE” as I all ready have wood all over the place . Ahhh, but what a nice dog house it would be though.
    I know it was here a minute ago ???

Hey Don--Nice Score...but now you have a real problem! Now you HAVE to get the 16" Jointer planer combo to process that lumber! The lunchbox isn't gonna work with that old growth oak. Think BIG. Heck, as long as your going crazy why not order a 16" Northfield sliding table saw and a 20" Laguna BS with the Logmaster attachment? Can you get 3 Phase in your shop?

Stop teasing me with these posts.

I have an 18' trailer that I would be making good use of right now if I were home.

Nice "haul" in every respect!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bruno View Post
    Also, because his price is per board, if you haul the big lumber you can definitely do a lot better on the bd.ft values - Don's massive timber is a good example... THAT THING WAS HUGE! (by my calculations, that board was nearly 45 bd ft all by itself!)
    Chris, good guesstimation. After I measured them all to figure out how much I got, that single board came out to 48.75 board feet alone

Be well,

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Now you HAVE to get the 16" Jointer planer combo to process that lumber!
    That's what I was talking to Chris about as we were loading the stuff in my truck. With only a 6" jointer, there's no way to easily process this.

Of course, I did say that I may just take it to work and use the 48" pit saw we have to resaw them (with a 3" wide, 0.6 teeth per inch blade) and the 25 HP double-sided planer to make them all smooth.

Seriously though, I think the Grizzly combo is going to be heading towards my house soon (12" capacity, not 16" - just too big a price jump between the two). And, the widest board in my pile is only 10 inches.

Be well,

Doc

Ya'know. When someone posts a great gloat, the reply is "you suck".

Well... YOU ALL SUCK!

I wish I was closer. Like to meet some creekers and get some of those great oak planks!

Kudo's to everyone. Just a cool find.
    One good turn deserves another

Very nice haul....can't wait to see what you make out of it.