Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slab Dining Table Plans - Which hand tools needed?

Hey, thanks so much to everyone for the input. Very much appreciated!

I suppose I should not be too surprised to find so many folks recommending that I take the power tools on my slab. Especially considering the size and width!

The cost of professional planing may be prohibitive. I have not finished my research in that area, though. I actually ran into a vendor at the Somerset woodworking show over the weekend who said he could give me a quote for doing the job. He said it would likely be in the neighborhood of $800 to $1000 just for the labor.

Based on the comments here, I am leaning toward building a flattening table of my own, and using my router to "plane" it, as some have already suggested. I may be able to have some hand planing fun doing some preliminary flattening, but the bulk of the work would be done with my router and a 3/4 or 1 inch bit.

Please keep the thread going as I am very much interested in your continued comments and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Quesne Ouaques View Post
    Hey, thanks so much to everyone for the input. Very much appreciated!
    Based on the comments here, I am leaning toward building a flattening table of my own, and using my router to "plane" it, as some have already suggested. I may be able to have some hand planing fun doing some preliminary flattening, but the bulk of the work would be done with my router and a 3/4 or 1 inch bit..
    Quesne

I've found one of these bits to work better in a router on an overhead transom. (Picked it up from Bill Hylton's Router Magic book.)
    The radius edge profile, didn't try to catch like a standard straight plunge bit did.

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/amana/45984/

Many router bit companies make a similar, if not exact same, bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Quesne Ouaques View Post

Please keep the thread going as I am very much interested in your continued comments and ideas.
    Buy Professor Bruce Hoadley's book entitled "Understanding Wood" written for laymen.

Even if you follow my advice on grain orientation, the slightest amount of reaction wood will cause major problems on a solid expanse 50" wide. Learn how to identify it and as much as you can about grain before buying stock.

Frankly, 50" wide is a bridge too far for a live-edge flitch to remain sufficently flat so as to not amuse children with marbles, unless you have several flitches to select from. If I were doing this I'd resaw the flitch and bookmatch two 25" live-edge sections The seam down the middle with matching grain will enhance the looks of relatively plain wood, the table's potential to warp is halved, and you can still have two live edges.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 02-19-2008 at 10:20 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff