Thread: Cleaning Adhesive from Disc Sander Plate

Cleaning Adhesive from Disc Sander Plate

I bought a Delta Disc Sander to use on some segmented work. I am in the process of building the sanding sled Curt Theobald shows in his video. The machine came with a disc already installed. When I removed the disc so I can start the sled, adhesive stayed on the metal plate.

What's the best way to remove the excess adhesive? The small grooves in the plate make it impossible to use a razor efficiently. Any help would be appreciated.

John

I have found that a heat gun will do the trick. Don't burn the left over adhesive but get it good and warm and use a heavy rag or whatever to wipe it off. I have cleaned mine this way several times. New disc will stick better on a clean surface as well.

Try placing the plate in a medium temp oven for a few minutes (honest) to heat up the entire plate and then try scraping it off. I have done this several times. Shopsmith actually recommends this for their disk sander..... Hey, it works.
    Do not leave it unattended though. That disk paper coating doesn't smell good when its on fire....don't ask me how I know..
    Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, but the pig likes it!

I use mineral spirits and a scrubb brush.

I use a heat gun to warm the paper as I pull it off-slowly. The little residue that is left, I clean with Mineral Spirits like Tom G., and rags.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Long ago!

Back in the day!!! I was taught to use a wide blade, (putty knife) held perpendicular to the spinning surface. This scrapes the gunk off. It may sound radical. but so does heat. It is a choice made over many years.
    Bob

John, I have to often replace my 20” disc and there’s always some residue left on the disc sander plate. It’s very important to have a spotless clean surface for the new disc. I’ve tried many cleaning techniques and have settled on acetone as the best cleaning agent – it dissolves the adhesive. On my big disc, it still takes a while. Repeated wiping with paper towels will remove everything. Make sure you have good ventilation and make sure the disc is thoroughly dry before applying a new disc.

Same problem here, the second disc didn't stick. Looked around the web.

I cleaned the metal plate with kerosene (that's what I had available at the time) and a wire brush.

I wouldn't use paper towels as the metal plate has small grooves in it that will shred the paper, use cloth instead.

After attaching the second sanding disc I tapped it with a dead blow hammer and I've had to do that before every use as parts of the sanding disc paper keep peeling off the plate.

FYI: On one post on the web someone with this same problem sanded all those grooves away on the metal plate (emory or sandpaper attached to a flattened board edge) to make the plate completely smooth.
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.

I use acetone for for removing the residual glue left on the disc. Wipes right off.

I use actone.
    Bob

Goo-be-gone????

Heat gun to loosen and peel off as much as possible with a razor blade scraper. Then acetone and steel wool scrubs the stuck on glue right off and keeps the CI polished as well.
    Use the fence Luke

If the disc can be removed from the motor's shaft easily, has anyone tried putting the disc in a freezer? It's an effective way to remove some adhesives from some materials.

Cary

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    Goo-be-gone????
    " " "

glue b gone!

On the old 24 in sander in HS, we removed the glue by running the machine and scraping it off with an old plane blade. Still works for me.
    Bob