Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bowl help please

more pics

This is the bowl I had chucked in the lathe on previous post, rough turned and ready to soal in DNA

Same bowl top view

Rest of my meager collection soaked and in drying process

Thanks for all of your help

John,
    Please don't take this wrong, just don't want to see you get hurt but I couldn't hep but notice your "T" handle wrench still in your chuck. This is not a good practice as any machinist will tell you. If you forget it is there and turn on the lathe it's going to go flying. Don' ask me how I know that.

John,
    In the bowl at the top here, it is end grain oriented, which means you are cutting down into the center of the tree. This isn't normal orientation, and is harder to cut. Most of the time, you would cut a length of log in half up and down the tree, then the center of the tree becomes the top of the bowl, and the outside of the tree becomes the bottom. With end grain orientation, when turning the outside, you work your way from the rim of the bowl to the base. On the inside, you start in the center, and work your way up to the rim. This is just the opposite of regular or face grain turning. Your tenon is close to proper size, but could be bigger. Also having a bigger set of jaws would get you a better grip. If your jaws close to 2 inches, then you want a tenot that is about 2 1/4 inches. If you have a 4 inch tenon, then only the points of the jaws are in contact with the wood so you don't get a good grip. Another thing, you have the pith or center of the log in the bowl. They will almost always crack off of the pith, if it isn't already cracked to begin with. It can be done, but usually takes super glue and saw dust to fill the cracks. I would recomend finding the closest club. The best learning experiences I have had in my 10 years of turning. If no club is close enough, then get some DVDs, in particular, Bill Grumbines first DVD. You can look him up. That will answer a lot or questions.

robo hippy

My lathe is similar to yours and the live center should be able to extend 1 1/2"-2" out this might give you more room for you tool rest to maneuver.
    "Turners don't make mistakes just kindling"

Re:

Reed...I totally understand what you are saying. I have done it as you described on all of my other attempts. Fot this bowl I wanted to try one larger and deeper than the wood I had on hand would allow for cross cutting. I did cut the log at about 30 degree angle to make my blank, not sure if this will make a difference.

Kevin....My tailstock was modified and welded on before I got it. It doesn't have any adjustment.

Thanks again for all of the advice