Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodcraft lumber prices

Woodcraft lumber prices

My local Wodcraft is very conveniently located only 15 minutes away. They have a nice supply of all kinds of different hardwoods. I'm just getting into hardwood furniture stuff and wonder how their prices compare to a real hardwood supplier.

Can someone with more experience tell me what the comparison is like? The stuff seems expensive but I have nothing to base that feeling on. If it's way over normal cost I could still use them for the odd trim piece and go to a real supplier for the rest.

Thanks.

Here in New Hampshire, I have found the prices at Woodcraft and Rockler to be so much higher than the lumber yards I wouldn't even consider using them for the odd trim pieces. But, they do have bowl blanks that the lumber yards don't even stock.

My regular rough sawn supplier also supplies my Woodcraft store...his prices tend to be close to 1/2, but it's cash on the barrel in a much less professional setting, plus WC surfaces a couple of sides. The WC near me is definitely more expensive, but I don't think they're outrageous either.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Woodcraft is a 'convenience' hardwood supplier. From where you are, check out the websites for 'The Hardwood Store of North Carolina' and 'Wall Lumber'. they have price lists on line which you can compare to WC's prices.

George
    2B1ASK1

Blog Entries
    I like both Woodcraft and Woodworkers Source. I've usually found Woodworkers to be a little cheaper.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I agree Woodcraft is very expensive. I've had Wall Lumber ship to me in KY and was very pleased with lumber, prices & service. You might also check www.woodfinder.com for other dealers in your area. I know that there is one near Hickory but do not recall his name.
    Bob

Generally...."ching...ching..." $$$$$$ Nonetheless, sometimes convenience wins out for a specific need. But you'll be best served to find a regular specialized source or sources for your hardwood.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Peter,
    As a local and one that has bought quite a few sticks of wood from that WC, I can tell you that they are not bad on the exotics. Most of the local folks pride themselves on praising Steve Wall Lumber and our WC has lower prices on many exotics than SWL and you don't have to drive across the state to get it. On domestic woods they are somewhat high but not unrealistic for retail. I'm a full time ww'er and I buy most of my lumber quite a bit lower than their prices but I'm buying wholesale. I could go into some other local vender options but this is not the place. If your interested PM me.
    Rob

Peter another important consideration is the volume you intend to purchase. If you go to a large supplier, the cost will come down as the volume goes up. I will always buy more than I need to get a discount, which leaves me with an inventory to work off of for a period of time. I also buy in the rough and surface, as I need it. This way all of my lumber I am using for a given project is dimensionally the same and some times allows me to work with lumber a little thicker than 3/4 inch. Lastly, you might consider looking for a private mill or someone with a portable saw mill that has lumber for sale. I once bought several hundred board feet of Oak from an Amish mill for as little as $0.75 a board foot. It was mixed grade as it came out of the tree and I had to sticker it to air dry for the next year; but then worked off of that pile for the next couple of years to come.

PS if you go that route, buy a moisture meter.

Peter

For domestic hardwoods, I can find prices cheaper than Woodcraft, but for exotics They can be competitive. I've also purchased wood in Woodcraft that I can't find anywhere else, except the internet either. Movingui, Curly Peruvian Walnut, African Blackwood, Macassar Ebony, Anigre.
    The 2 stores that I can drive to, Warwick RI and Manchester Ct, are also staffed by pretty nice folks, which makes it easier to drop a few extra $$$ on wood.

Thanks for the info guys!

Blog Entries
    On the left coast the Woodcraft and Rockler stores carry lumber as a convenience to their customers. The prices are quite high compared to a lumber yard and they are not apologetic about it, nor should they be.

If grabbing a chunk of rosewood to help you along with a current project while you're in the store anyway for some other item is convenient (or time saving) then rock on. Around here though I would not consider them a source if I had any time to plan on what I was going to need. YMMV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In a word - outrageous. I completely understand why they price the way that they do but WOW.

Ditto previous responses...I've seen prices in my local WC that were 2X to 4X higher on domestics than I'd pay at my local mill or cabinet shop supplier on most domestic species. Also I prefer to buy my lumber rough, full thickness to have room for flattening and dimensioning. It can be easier to color and grain match when pulling frrom a 1000BF pack from the same mill, often wood from the same tree. But until your used to picking and sighting rough lumber it can be a risky and expensive proposition...there's lots of cracks, checks and sap hiding in the rough.

The guys at woodcraft are friendly, helpful and forgiving where the cabinet suppliers tend to cater to professionals, lets say guys starting out may get rough treatment at some lumber yards and mills.

Prices go down on quantity in most yards and large internet suppliers, if woodworking becomes a long term habit it is worth developing relationships with a few sources to keep things affordable and interesting. Woodcraft is a fine place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    On the left coast the Woodcraft and Rockler stores carry lumber as a convenience to their customers. The prices are quite high compared to a lumber yard and they are not apologetic about it, nor should they be.

If grabbing a chunk of rosewood to help you along with a current project while you're in the store anyway for some other item is convenient (or time saving) then rock on. Around here though I would not consider them a source if I had any time to plan on what I was going to need. YMMV.
    Hi Glenn-

Where in SoCal do you shop for hardwood lumber? I'm new to the game, and a ways from you up here in Ventura but still interested in SoCal sources.

Thanks...

-Tom H.