Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jackpot!!!!! #2

Talking Jackpot!!!!! #2

I just recently found a barn that a guy I know has and is planning on tearing it down within the next couple years. This guy is letting me take all the lumber from the barn free of charge with no time constraints! There are some very nice oak beams and posts inside! Also many boards and floor joists. I could not begin to think how much lumber I have just scored!!! This barn is a lot bigger than what it looks like in the picture, the hay loft is one of the biggest I have seen. I am blown away with my find, Happy Valentines Day to me!
    Attached Images Attached Images

lucky duck.

the best i have gotten thus far is a 100+ yr old corn crib....

Big time score! Congrats, and be SAFE pulling it apart!

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

That is the best part is that I can take my time and make sure I am taking it down the safest way possible, I wont have to rush.

You literally bagged a big one! Congrats!

Good score.

I have seen some beautiful projects from recycled barn wood.

I would like to make an aquarium stand from some if I can get ahold of some.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Joe,
    My recent thread Jackpot number 1 I scored some old floor joists from another building. I am making myself a workbench from that material. I can't wait until me bench is done and then I can figure out some more projects for this old wood. I also must say turning this old wood into nice straight boards from it bowed or cupped state really gives me a lot of satisfaction. I have defiantly caught the antique wood bug, and would recommend trying it if you have never done it.

Nice score, we'll be looking for pics of completed projects.

A bit sacrilegious I know, but it is a little disheartening to see these old barns come down. They always stirs up lots of happy memories for me.

At least this one goes to good hands that will create something equally memorable for someone from it.

I used to work in flooring mill, used recycled barn timbers occasionally, man does that old growth white oak have pretty delicate cathedrals! They let me take home two boards once at the end of a run, I was giddy for days...still haven't used it for anything..saving it for someday. If they gave me the whole barn? Probably would have quit my job the next day!

Might be time to buy your self a LOG MASTER!

Peter,
    Thankfully I have a really good friend of mine whos' uncle has a sawmill, plus the guy I buy some lumber from here in the area will also saw some up for cheap too.

So WHERE exactly in MO are you, Matt?! Actually, the barn looks HUGE...lottsa bf in there for you to grab!

Do be careful bringing her down...however you do it...we want you healthy and ready to create some fine projects!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Matt

Nice score on the barn. That will give enough wood for more than a couple of projects....

Hey Matt, old buddy, old pal!!!!
    I'm not too far East of the river. Need some help tearing it down? I won't charge much!!!! LOL

Nice Score! Wish I could get that lucky!

Matt, nice score. I just got a bunch of large oak beams myself from a barn that never got put back together. I'll PM you my email address, I'd like to keep in touch on the upcoming projects you plan to do with it. I'll also share some of the stuff I'm doing as well.

Dan
    I recently saw your beams that you scored, very nice. Congrats to you.