Thread: adirondack design

adirondack design

what do you think about this chair

http://www.patioandhomefurniture.com...t-_CEAEO21.php

I thought it was a pretty elegant design.

Honestly,I don't like it at all. It looks like it came from IKEA or one of the cheap furniture places. I don't like the flat square back, the flat square seat, or the flat square arms. sorry, but you asked.
    Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My opinion really doesn't matter anyway if you like it.

I thought I should give you a design I prefer. Maybe you won't like this one, but I do. Do a search for "Jake's Chair". I have made a dozen of these, both for my own use as well as at the request of others. I will say that I did slightly modify the plans to suit me better. To each their own.
    Last edited by Rick Moyer; 02-16-2008 at 8:55 AM. Reason: added paragragh

I kinda agree with Rick, Matt. There are some aspects of that design that I think I wouldn't find comfortable, especially the back. Personally, I really like the New Yankee Workshop Adirondak design (including the updated version). It's one of the most comfortable versions I've had the pleasure to sit in and I plan on making a few more for our new front porch.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I do agree that the new yankee chair is very nice. I have built a few and reduced the size to make some really nice child sized versions. (I think the child size actually looked better because the 3/4 material appears thicker/heavier.

Jim
    What do you mean by updated version (I am not aware of one)
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I agree with Jim on the NYW style....

Jake's Chair is the most comfortable outdoor chair I've ever sat in. I've made 2 of them. They are oversized and very sturdy, and include plans for a matching footstool. I am sure I will be making more in the future.

Recently completed two more "Jake's" chairs. After the first few I have been making them from a synthetic material, stainless "McFeeley's" screws, etc. The pic below is the newest chairs, but I have the same ones sitting on my deck for over four years now (year-round) and they only need periodic cleaning. I suppose it's sacrilege not to make them from wood, but these won't rust, rot, weather, etc. for a very very very long time!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rick,

What is the synthetic material? I think the chairs look great, and, here in Florida, anything that won't rot is a plus.

Thanks,

John

Jim,

I have looked for the "updated" chair version about which you made reference. I have been unable to find any other plan than Norm's "Adirondack Chair -- Item #202" on the NYW website. Thanks for any additional information you may be able to provide.

By the way, I very much enjoy your posts on SMC.

Thanks,

John

Episode #810 is the updated version (Adirondack Trio) in which he adds a stool and table.

I would be interested in knowing what kind of synthetic you are using for your chairs as well. There are just some environments (seaside) that can not take the abuse without intense upkeep.

John, (and Matt) sorry for the delayed answer. I was away last week.

The chairs are made from Koma (brandname) facia boards. It is basically a PVC material, white throughout, and works very much like wood. I buy the boards 1X10 x18' long. It isn't cheap at about $70 a board, but as I said, they won't rot or rust, or be affected by bugs, etc. The only maintenance is keeping them clean. I order the Koma from my local lumber yard.

I made a modified version of Jakes chair.I narrowed 2" and lowered the legs 2".I also fanned the slats out more than the plan called for. This is my first I made from scrap lumber before finishing.
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great job on the chair You should do the stool next, they go great together.