Thread: Claddagh engraved pen

Claddagh engraved pen

Hello everyone, this is the first example I have posted. I enjoy the site, and have found some really useful information here.
    I make pens, among other things, and have been looking for something to set my work apart. I think this type of embellishment might be the answer
    I used the Epilog rotary device for this, on a Helix 45 watt machine.

VERY NICE!!!

I can't say much more than that...

Was that a 3D image or just a very high DPI raster?
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

Michael

Very nice job on the pen and the engraving.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Steve, I drew the pattern in corel draw, and then played around with the color values until I got the depth that I was looking for.

This is very nice work. You will get a similar result on wood using tattoo art. The darker the shading the deeper the engraving.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Thumbs up Excellent!

Excellent work Michael!

Did you have to do any sort of special setup with the Epilog rotary attachment? For example, sometimes when doing smaller diameter items, such as a pen, you can sometimes run into the engraving head (the autofocus plunger or air tube) hitting the wheels because of sitting so low in the "valley" between the pairs of wheels on each end. Did you have to make some sort of jig to hold the pen and raise it up a bit while it is resting on the wheels?

That is a very fine example of a cigar style pen. I'm sure you will not have ANY problems selling those.

Keep up the excellent work and sharing your fine workmanship with us.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

Thanks guys.
    Mike, there are a couple of routines that have worked for me. I always lower the table when finished, so when I turn the machine off and back on, the focus plunger clears the rotary device. I also engrave the pen while still on the mandrel ( that is the shaft that you mount the pens in the lathe with)

Hmmmm.... I've seen that pen before...

Once again Mike, great job. Your photo's show more detail too.

Tom (Radman on TPS)

As the others have said Michael, very nice work! Thanks for sharing.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Tom, I posted this pen on the IAP site, you might have seen it there.

Michael - funny - I never thought of doing the pen while still on the mandrel.

BTW - pens is how I got into lasers... I use be a 'laser bum' and get free minutes by giving pens to the engravers... It turned into a passion to have my own laser.

Now I ignore my lathe for the laser.... I occasionally get out to the garage and make a pen or two, but it's only when I want to put them on the laser.... Next time I do, I'm going to laser it on the mandrel....

Steve
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.