Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 60" Vanity with granite top

Paul, take a look at this picture of one of my MBR vanities...you can see what I'm talking about on the top of the unit...the wide, horizontal strips to the front and back of the carcass. You can install them in your unit with pocket screws and glue and when you do that, they will make for a very strong combined component with your front and back top stringers. An L-shaped "beam" in a sense. These are, in fact, notched into the intermediate supports which in this vanity are similar to what you will be providing. This further locks things together. The tops for these are also granite...in fact, they templated today according to my GC.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If the top is 21" deep it will weigh about 200 lbs. That would be under 2 lbs per square in on regular 3/4 material stood on edge. The open design calls for some additional thought but I'm thinking you got it well covered.

Nice looking design by the way.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Thanks, Jim, that answers it for me perfectly. Joe, the top is actually 22" deep. My SU pic above of the vanity is actually 24" deep (I have kitchen design on my mind). I honestly don't think I would have built this 24" deep, but thanks for the heads up anyway! The top's about 140lbs.

Jim, I decided to stay with the original doubled ply front section idea behind where the dummy drawer fronts will be. Those doubled up pieces will not only eliminate sag across a 60" span, they should suffice very well for the extra surface for "glue" at the front of the top. The rear horizontal strip is essentially the same as yours.

I scaled the depth of the drawing from 24" to 21". I got really lucky in the sense that after the scale procedure, my legs just so happened to wind up being 1.75"... wherein they were originally 2", which is just fine with me.

Now I feel like I am ready to go and have the confidence of a saint. It's a nice design and scaled down nicely from the original Pottery Barn 72"version.

It's so nice when the the wife and the woodworker can come together on the final look. We both love it. I'd much rather sacrifice a possible middle functioning drawer for strength. With three full extension drawers, they are going to be more than we need between the two of us, because I will only need one. Then there is lots of room below for baskets of towels, etc.

Now that the scale is correct, it works even better.

Thanks for the advice and help.

Master-Vanity2_crop.jpg

Paul