Thread: Yet another new lathe question. General 160-2

Yet another new lathe question. General 160-2

I have been waiting for the right lathe at the right price to come up for sale used for months. Surprisingly not too many come up for sale. I always see lots of Unisaws and shapers in good shape but trying to find a good lathe is another story. Anyway recently I came across a General 160-2, 12” swing, 15” in the gap, variable speed (500-3000). This would be my first lathe.

I am looking for opinions on this lathe in general and would also like to know what a good price would be for this used machine in good condition. New this seems to cost about $2500 and up. Looking at the specs for this lathe vs some other popular models I can’t see why. It seems to have the same or fewer features than a less expensive Jet.

Thanks

My only comment is that in a full sized lathe, 12" isn't enough for me. Not for big bowls, but clearance for the tool handles over the bed. Just my experience.

CPeter

Purpose of the gap is to save on steel and add another line to the spec sheet.
    Only the Blue Roads

Fred, I had that lathe for about 8 years but mine also had a outboard turning bracket attached. The lathe is a very sturdy one that was found in most high school woodshops in Canada. The lathe if used and abused in a high school would sell for about 800-1000. I purchased mine for $1700 with some chisels, chucks, book, and video and I sold it just before Xmas for $1500. The lathe is very durable and unless you are going to be turning large bowls greater than 12 inches it is a very good starting lathe. You will probably have to pay $1200-1500 to get this lathe. They do retain a good resale value. The lathe is made by General in Drummondville Quebec.

Hope this helps.

Marty