Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what are you using for air assist

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Robert, are you using that on a Universal laser? In the link you provided, the CFM was very low, way below the requirements to run the ULS system and even below the normal Airbrush compressor.

It's showing .14 CFM at 30PSI. The ULS needs 2.5CFM or better at 40PSI if I recall correctly (or something close to that).
    I'm using mine on the Laser Pro Venus machines. I run at 10 PSI, which is almost all the way opened. The Laser Pro has a nozzle cavity under the lens, so the air flow blows straight through the cut. The .5 CFM flow seems pretty good, and blows small cutouts and dust away fine. It would not be enough for a blow back, but for air assist it's good.

Gotcha Robert, that won't work with the air screens around the various optics as well as vector cutting on the ULS. Not enough CFM or PSI, and it will alarm out with too low of air pressure and the machine will sit until the air pressure is high enough.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Messer View Post
    I wonder why they designed it with a bypass type valve instead of a shutoff/on type of electrical solonoid, does the air noise bother you listening to it all day?
    They designed it with a bypass because a small diaphram type compressor can't be blocked on the output. If you do this it will keep trying to pump into a closed hose and probably damage itself. To prevent damage you would need an electrical shut-off on the compressor, activated by pressure in the hose (or a solenoid closure). All of this adds complexity so they did it the simple way - continuous running with bleed-off.

I have seen some airbrush compressors with some kind of control where they would start "on-demand" but I don't know what kind of components they use to implement this. This would avoid continuous running.

I converted an obsolete oxygen concentrator to use as a compressor. It is quiet (as it normally is used in a residence) and seems to work well. The biggest problem was finding a suitable switch/unloader valve. You need an unloader valve to relieve the pressure in the compressor output hose. Otherwise, the compressor can't re-start and stalls. On a shop compressor, when it turns off, you hear a "pssssst" after it stops. That is the unloader valve emptying the supply line, so that it can re-start freely on the next cycle.

Air Assist Pump

I am adding air assist to my Rabbit 3040. Thought you all might like this pump.
    http://www.aquariumguys.com/superluftpump.html
    Rabbit Laser HX3040
    Corel Draw X3, Photopaint
    Newly Draw (very basic)
    Photograv

If your running a piston type compressor in your shop all day long, your far better off to unload the intake, usually done by a air relief valve activating a piston that either holds the 1st stage intake valve open, or clamps off the compressor intake itself, thereby allowing the compressor to free wheel between cycles. This is far easier on the compressor, the electric motor, the electric bill, and your ears. When the compressor just cycles, it's fairly quiet.. Then, when the pressure drops, a spring backs the unloading piston off, and the air cycle begins again.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it