Thread: iron stock planes question

iron stock planes question

Hello folks,

I'm not a hand plane kind of person thus my knowledge about them is very limited. I'm a power tool woodworker and not likely to change. However, I do have great respect for those of you who do prefer working with hand tools and the skills that you've acquired.

Having said that, I do have a question about a particular plane. I have an old plane that was my Dad's (he was non powertool woodworker) that is very old and completely made of iron. There is no wood on it anywhere. Currently, it's buried in a box in a storage shed here. When the weather warms up I want to dig it out and take a few photos of it which I'd like to post here to see if anyone can tell me more about it.

The story that my Dad told about this plane was interesting to me a young man and I've never forgotten it. He bought it sometime during the 1920s in a pawn shop in Charleston, SC. He spotted it on a high shelf in this establishment, covered with dust. He asked the pawn shop owner about it. That man told my dad that the plane was there when he took over the business 30 years prior and he didn't anything at all about it.

Daddy bought it and used it in his carpentry work. One day the foreman of the job saw him using that plane and asked my Daddy if he's sell it. Daddy told him no, he liked using it. The next day the foreman called my Daddy aside and showed him all of HIS planes in his tool chest. He told my Daddy to pick out any three planes that he wanted and he'd trade him even....three planes for Daddy's one ironstock plane. Daddy still said no and became curious. The forman then told my Dad, Edwards, if you won't sell or trade that plane to me I'm going to steal it from you! Daddy took him at his word as a fair warning and never took it on that job again.

A while later the foreman brought in a magazine...I THINK it was Popular Mechanics but I'm not sure about that. According to Daddy, the foreman opened the magazine to photo of my Dad's plane. The story that accompanied the photo described this plane as being very rare with only three known to be still in existence. Two were in museum collections and the third one had been traced, then lost, to Charleston, SC.

That's all I know to tell you. I'll dig it out one day soon and post photos, hoping that perhaps one of you folks who have a love for old hand planes can tell me something more about it. I've searched the net in vain trying to find a photo of it or one similiar to it.

Thanks and Kind Regards,
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Well, now that my interest has been piqued, I won't be able to think of much else unitl "one day" you get around to posting a photo! If the plane is indeed as rare as you believe, you may have a real treasure on your hands. I'll be watching for an update--and a photo!

Why dont you dig it out now so we can tell you what you have.

Thanks fellas. I can't go dig it out right now....it's in an outdoor storage trailer that is unlighted and packed with boxes. And I mean packed floor to ceiling.

The first pretty day that we have here I'll dive in to that trailer, go through the boxes and find the plane. Unless I get really lucky I'll have to put some boxes outside in order to get to the rest of them. (I'm a packrat). Thanks for your interest and willingness to help me find out more about this tool. I appreciate it very much.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

Anybody want to make a guess as to what it is? Brandell's shoulder plane, Evan's compass plane, one of the Chaplin's (maybe that #1 size!), a Birmingham, or a #78?

Stephen, you might want to expidite your unpacking, rust loves temperature swings! Oh, and if it is that little Chaplin, it's probably worth more than your house, and your car. Show us the photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Anybody want to make a guess as to what it is? Brandell's shoulder plane, Evan's compass plane, one of the Chaplin's (maybe that #1 size!), a Birmingham, or a #78?

Stephen, you might want to expidite your unpacking, rust loves temperature swings! Oh, and if it is that little Chaplin, it's probably worth more than your house, and your car. Show us the photos!
    The first thing that came to mind was it is either a Chaplin No.1 or a Stanley 78 and someone was giving him a hard time. If it is a chaplin's no.1 I will offer $21000 for it . -Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Jones View Post
    The first thing that came to mind was it is either a Chaplin No.1 or a Stanley 78 and someone was giving him a hard time. If it is a chaplin's no.1 I will offer $21000 for it . -Clint
    Before I knew a thing about planes, I saw a picture in Hacks book (I think) of the three #1's, and decided then and there, that the little Chaplin was the coolest. I'll go $21100!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Before I knew a thing about planes, I saw a picture in Hacks book (I think) of the three #1's, and decided then and there, that the little Chaplin was the coolest. I'll go $21100!
    He better not dissapoint us I seriously doubt it will be the chaplin plane. I hope it is though it would be cool to be a part of the discovery. I also seriously doubt it is worth more than the guys house and car. The last one sold in fine condition for $28000. I recently sold a plane on ebay that there were only 50 or so examples known and it only sold for $1075 which I thought was low for something that rare. You know there are millions of Stanley No.1's and they are worth that or more....go figure.

one day...

"one day" needs to be tomorrow or sooner.

hope its all you expect

ciao,

dan
    Building my own Legos!

Blog Entries
    I've searched the net in vain trying to find a photo of it or one similiar to it.
    Have you looked at the ETC section of Patrick's blood & gore?
    There are some odd ball planes there.

jim

He better not dissapoint us I seriously doubt it will be the chaplin plane. I hope it is though it would be cool to be a part of the discovery. I also seriously doubt it is worth more than the guys house and car. The last one sold in fine condition for $28000. I recently sold a plane on ebay that there were only 50 or so examples known and it only sold for $1075 which I thought was low for something that rare. You know there are millions of Stanley No.1's and they are worth that or more....go figure.
    I've always thought those little Chaplin's where worth more! Learned something today. Crazy how the market moves, isn't it. FWW published a glossy article about 112's a few years back, while I was looking for one, and overnight, the market shot up. Personally, I think it is easy to collect Stanley, but requires a lot more effort to focus on something else, so Stanley is artificailly higher priced than the legitimate collecter planes.

Just curious, what is the highest a plane has ever sold for that you know of? I'm thinking of a center wheel plow that Clarance Blanchard sold, but I can't remember what it brought.

here are the photos of the plane

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Beadle View Post
    Well, now that my interest has been piqued, I won't be able to think of much else unitl "one day" you get around to posting a photo! If the plane is indeed as rare as you believe, you may have a real treasure on your hands. I'll be watching for an update--and a photo!

Hey Folks,

I found the plane today and took some photos of it. I also sprayed it down with WD-40 as it had some rust as one of you suggested that it may. Looks like I've got a clean up job ahead of me!

Here are the photos. The first is a side view of one side:

iron plane 1.jpg

This is a side view of other side. Please note that the red x denotes a small broken piece of the plane. It's been that way all of my life and I think my Daddy said it was that way when he bought it in the 1920s.

iron plane 2.jpg

This is a top view:

iron plane 4.jpg

Finally, this is an angle view of the bottom of the plane:

iron plane 6.jpg

This plane has no markings on it all. I have no idea who made it. Any info that anyone may be able to provide would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

Stephen Your plane is made by the Birmingham Mfg Co. It is not as rare as only 3 in the world (I have seen many). The size will affect how much the plane is worth. The smaller the better. The broken piece will affect the value a bit. I would say around $150 in the condition its in. It looks to have no jappaning left. If it had all its jappaning and no breaks around $350. If it is a no.2 sized around $200 with the break. -Clint

Stephen Your plane is made by the Birmingham Mfg Co. It is not as rare as only 3 in the world (I have seen many). The size will affect how much the plane is worth. The smaller the better. The broken piece will affect the value a bit. I would say around $150 in the condition its in. It looks to have no jappaning left. If it had all its jappaning and no breaks around $350. If it is a no.2 sized around $200 with the break. -Clint
    Thanks Clint.......now I know who made it and what it is.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

Blog Entries
    There is actually one on the auction site which shall not be named going to close around 6:00 pm PST on Saturday.
    It is an 18-1/2 model, missing some parts.

jim