Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rastering cardstock?

I've done a few designs on cardstock. This is the same stuff you would use for scrapbooking. I've only done this for friends and family as I am not sure there is any margin.

I usually use 10%pwr, 80%spd, 250dpi.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Along this line, for my better plaque customers, I engrave the recipients name on the brown presentation box. Takes about 10 seconds.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    So what you're telling me, Bill, is that I can save my image at about twice the required limit and it will be okay once it loads?
    Dee Ignore the size, when your uploading to a website, your only interested in getting the picture up as clear as possible in a size that the system will accept.. Worse comes to worse, convert your pictures to 640 x 480 pixels @ 72 ppi that will give you a large enough picture on anyones screen, still be 'fairly' clear, and probably won't exceed the size limit.. If someone wants a higher res. pic, you can email them one.. The one attached, is the same file size as your original (which was at 150 ppi), but posts much larger because is lower res. (72.ppi) It is much fuzzier, but it's also a .jpg thats been saved a few times before posting again.. If you have to do work on photos, that originated as a .jpg then save the work as a .tif and only revert back to a .jpg for the ones you post on the web..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

okay, I'm trying it again.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Thanks, Bill! I saved this one directly from the scanner at 150 and did not compress it before loading into the post. The 2nd and 3rd generation jpegs were a lot blurrier. Thanks again for the explanation.

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Yup!! A big difference ! That big enough, and nice and clear...
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

While I haven't been able to get a nice brown 'burn' yet, I have had some success with cheap packing cardboard. I designed a box to put my wood sculptures in, and lasered the image on the front. Rastering on the cardboard creates a nice image that 'changes' with the light!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Marc Myer
    Epilog 35 mini

Marc, that looks great! For some reason, the dancer on the box looks happier than the other one to me.

cheers, dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

Box .cdr

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Gore View Post
    I found the neatest thing. I got regular black posterboard from Hobby Lobby, and I found that it engraved and cut beautifully. Make sure when you hold the posterboard up, you can see white on the edges. That lets you know it's the kind that etches well. Below is a packaging prototype I'm working one. I'm going to use different tabs for the final piece, but I think it's kinda cute. I'll send the settings later, I'm at my day job right now.

Rick...you mentioned sending settings later on this box....did I miss that thread?...do you have .cdr for it to? Thanks....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]James Wright - Haventouch Enterprises Inc. Dahlonega, Ga. (Epilog Laser Mini 24 - 45 watt, CorelDraw X3, PhotoGrav 3.0) "Who is John Galt ?"

Paperboard

One technique I use with cardstock is to purposely focus above or below the area I want to "brown". You have to play with the settings to balance darkening with resolution but you can get some interesting effects.

Jim
    Growing older is mandatory.
    Growing up is entirely optional.

Remember; it's never too late to have a happy childhood.