Thread: band saw

Question band saw

I was thinking about getting the 14 delta band saw at Lowes
    Do you think I could use it for resawing.
    Rog

Dan Bussiere Guest
    Roger,
    The ones at Lowes are only 1/2 horsepower motors. Although they will do some resawing, they will bog down under a large load. If you can, get the larger motor model from elsewhere. My next door neighbor has one of the 1/2 horse models and it is not very strong. Of course like everything else, it is dependant on your use and needs. The price is right at Lowes for that model if it suits your needs.
    Dan

If you are thinking about a 14" Bandsaw, one that you may want to look at is the new Shopfox 14". Very similar to the Grizzly saw with 2 major differences. It has cast iron wheels vs aluminum and has one of the best tensioning systems on a smaller saw that I have seen.

It also has the riser kit so you can resaw up to 12" stock. With a 1HP motor and a good blade that should not be a problem for you.

Roger, I'd say no. I had a 1/2 hp Sears bandsaw and it would resaw about 2" without bogging down. The two things you need to resaw are tension on the blade and horsepower. I think the minimum hp would be 1 1/2 and on a 14" saw you're only going to tension a 1/2" blade properly.
    Dennis

Thumbs up

Dan, Dave, Dennis, Thanks for the information, that helps alot.
    Rog

Rog,

I've been looking into a bandsaw as well. From everything I've seen I'm strongly inclined to go with the Grizzly model #G1019.
    Jim Stastny ~ Damascus, Maryland
    A poor workman blames his tools

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stastny
    Rog,

I've been looking into a bandsaw as well. From everything I've seen I'm strongly inclined to go with the Grizzly model #G1019.
    From what I hear, the G0555 has some pretty good upgrades over the G1019 to warrant the additional cost. Might be something you want to check into. There are quite a few happy G0555 owners.

Aarpm