Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing dried glue . . . from your shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    But really, why not just buy another shirt?
    C'mon, Howard...it could be his favorite Charlie Brown shirt!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The easy solution

surprised no one has suggested scissors yes. Just "clip" "clip" and no more glue in that spot.

Seriously. I thought PVA is water soluble. That is why you can't use it in outdoor projects. Just soak the shirt/pants. You could even put some vinegar in the water. Maybe I'll try this just to see what happens.

Oh yeah, my wife gets all huffy every time I wear a nice T-shirt into the shop for the same reason as stated in the rest of the thread.

I had a glue-up go bad during the week. I'm sitting here typing in a pair of shorts covered in dried, white glue. Looks vaguely obscene.

I, too, have read that white vinegar is the best solvent (Wood Magazine, Apr 1990, p.8) for PVA glue. I've used "De-Glue Goo" (available from Woodcraft) to dissolve/soften yellow glue to remove a cabinet back that was glued around the entire perimeter and fully cured. De-Glue Goo smells like vinegar. You saturate the glue with the solvent, wait 30 minutes for the glue to soften, and the joint comes apart, leaving a somewhat-sticky, rubbery, remainder that scrapes off easily. Hopefully, it will also work on fabric (soak a paper towel or cotton ball and let it sit on the glue) and the residue can be removed.

Vinegar is a mild acid so such lengthy full-strength contact may affect the color and possibly the fabric (although dilute vinegar is commonly used in laundry).

De-Glue Goo: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3627

My vote is for vinegar, but heat it up first. I put mine in the microwave and nuke it for 30 secs or so. Warm vinegar seems to work better than cold for breaking up white & yellow glues.

Thanks for the tips.

My habit is to come home from the office, lose the dress shirt (leaving just my T-shirt on) and change into jeans. So, now at least half of my undershirts have hard crusty spots on them (which I now realize sounds a bit sketchy).

I generally use Titebond II, so that is part of my problem. I may revert back to TB I.

Meanshile, I'll try the vinegar and report back.

"So, now at least half of my undershirts have hard crusty spots on them..."

Wear them proudly. If you are anything like me, the "crusty spots" will eventually become holes because I have this habit of picking at them while I'm watching TV. I'm just waiting for the day when a "stranger" ( a fine looking, admiring young woman perhaps?) comes up to me in some coffee shop and says "Hey, you must be a woodworker...."

YM

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshikuni Masato View Post
    Wear them proudly . . . I'm just waiting for the day when a "stranger" . . . comes up to me in some coffee shop and says "Hey, you must be a woodworker...."
    Like 'Fight Club' without the compound fractures.