Thread: Study Progress

Study Progress

Here are a couple shots I took this afternoon of the big study job I'm working on.

The bookcases are set in place, lighting has been added, and are waiting on face frames.

The addition of ceiling beams is complete - sans one last moulding that will wrap the entire perimeter where the bordering beam meets the sheetrock. The ligher colored carved egg & dart moulding is poplar that will be stained to match the rest of the cherry.

I'll have the block paneling up by Monday at the lastest. More pictures then.

Thanks for looking! Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice Todd, I am planning on doing that in my trayed ceiling, but am not 100% sure how it goes together. Do you mind explaining a bit? Is it a disaster to do if the tray is out of square a bit?

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Too! Nice Todd.
    Has the home owner and the Master Creftsman decided what to do with that window??
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Dan Bussiere Guest
    Thats it, I'm selling my tools! None of them can make that kind of stuff! Great job, as always! In your spare time, you should write a book on built-ins.
    Dan

Nice work, Todd, as always. I assume you chose poplar for the egg & dart since it is a bit less chippy than the cherry when doing the carving.
    Alan

Must be your new workshop

After seeing the Sandpaper Cabinet, I am guessing this will be your new Workshop.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

Chris, of course the tray is not square!! They never are! (Well, I haven't made a house yet though...)

What I did Chris, was to design it for the lazy man. My Grandfather always told me that if you have a hard job to do, give it to a lazy man and he'll think of an easy way to do it. In this regard, I always take the approach of a lazy man. (I guess it might fit once in a while too!!)

I knew that the big 5 1/2" carved crown would be a booger, and at $5 a linear foot, I didn't want to waste that much of it with mis-cuts.

So, I made 9 plywood 4-sided frames, all exactly the same size, 6 1/8" tall. After I anchored the 2X6's to the ceiling in a grid, I nailed the plywood framed inside the grid created by the 2X6s. Now, every frame that required moulding was the exact same size, and I took care of out-of-square by leaving the slop on the outside along the perimeter.

Then I made, basically, big picture frames with the 5 1/2" crown on the floor, let the glue dry, and hung them as an assembly. I have more detail (although not complete yet) on my web site.

Tyler, the homeowner and I had a conversation about it yesterday. I might try a stave-construction method. Working with a faceted curved surface, any irregularities will not show up as much as with a smooth curving surface.

Alan, I chose poplar because it was only $5 a linear foot versus the $17 a linear foot for the cherry version!! I'll tone it and you won't be able to (shouldn't be able to, if I do my job right!) tell the difference.

Jack, good idea, but the room is only 17' x 17'.

Dan, that's a good idea. Let's see. I get up at 7:30, work all day, go to bed around midnight (on average). If I cut out 2 hours of sleep a night, maybe I could produce something in about 6 months... Humm... Who knows!!

Very nice, you are the man! Thanks for the explanation.

Beautiful work Todd. Someday I would love to have a study like that in my own house.

OH MY! (that sounds better than the first thing I said ) And here I thought we were just a bunch of hobby type guys. That is awesome. I'm trying to convince my wife in letting me try that in our dining room. We get a lot of echo in there and I think that would help. Would it?

Yeah, I think I could study in a room like that.

Pat, I'm no sound expert but I don't think wood absorbs sound to well. However, you might be able to hide sound absorbing material within any cavities...dunno if that would help, however. Thick carpets, well-place, thick drapes, special sound-absorbing drywall ($$$s!) do the trick.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

great insight

Todd,
    thanks for the added insight as you do these jobs. great stuff. Where's your web site?

Tom, under everyone's signature, there are a series of icons you can click. Click the one that says "www" under any of my posts.