Thread: Help with freud premium fence

Help with freud premium fence

I was just about to order it from Amazon with the %25 specail going on right now when I noticed how close the mounting holes are. Can someone measure theirs and tell me how far apart they are as I am going to be using this with a rout-r-lift the is slightly over 12" wide.

Thanks,
    Bob

They are 13 7/8" on center. You should be fine.

Thanks,
    Do you like it?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hallowell View Post
    Thanks,
    Do you like it?

Bob
    Yes Bob, I like it. It is an odd mix however. The aluminum metal support system is a nicely machined, precision piece of work, but the faces that come with it are really cheesy - basically throwaways. Not a huge problem, as most people would probably want to make their own faces anyway. The picture below shows what I did. I can adjust the fence faces laterally and attach accessories like the featherboards shown.

Also, their method of mounting to a table is rather lame, in my opinion. They provide threaded inserts that you would drill into the table paired, in two rows, and spaced such that the mounting slots in the fence support would cover the spacing. This means that if you are moving the fence forward or back more than the length of the slot (approx. 2"), you have to completely remove the mounting bolts and insert them into another pair of threaded inserts. Kind of slow and awkward. I routed two T channels in the table and use T-bolts and knobs instead.

Also since my brain is stuck in feet and inches, I guess I would like it better if the markings on the adjustment knobs were set up as such, but the docs do have an easy conversion chart.

If I recall, I bought it from Amazon on special and paid around $75 for it. For that money, I think it was a good deal.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hallowell View Post
    I was just about to order it from Amazon with the %25 specail going on right now when I noticed how close the mounting holes are. Can someone measure theirs and tell me how far apart they are as I am going to be using this with a rout-r-lift the is slightly over 12" wide.

Thanks,
    Bob

Bob,

The holes are 14" OC (use 5/16-18 threaded inserts) and it is designed to span a 12" insert plate.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.