Thread: Looking at a Barracuda 2 chuck

Looking at a Barracuda 2 chuck

Hey Gang,
    I have been looking at a Barracuda 2 chuck from PSI and wondered how many have used them and what you thought about them, as far as quality, holding power and reliability. I would have to add a 1-1/4" x 8tpi to 1" x8tpi adapter to fit my 3520b lathe. I have seen reviews on the adapter, that say it is dead on as far as run out. What say you turners?

Note:
    I purchased a 6" lower priced 3 jaw self centering chuck, and found it not worth the trouble. It threw my 12" walnut bowl across the shop. No matter what I did to change the depth and girth of the tenon. No holding power what so ever. It seemed like it did not have enough gripping area on the bowl.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

I have the Barracuda 2 on my Rikon and like it alot. The quality is excellent and have had no problems...I would recommend. My Rikon is my first wood lathe but it would seem that the Barracuda 2 is a little small for the 3520B but hey what do I know I'm a noobie...(LOL!) Unless you want to do smaller turnings???

Hopefully the owners of the 3520B will chime in and straighten both of us out...

Fred

I have the Barracuda 2 chuck and like it very much, very well made imo.

I'd agree with Fred. The B2 is a pretty good chuck, I have used one, and they are a good deal for the price, but it might be a bit undersized for the types of things that your 3520 can spin. I sold my B2 with my old lathe when I got a bigger lathe.

I would not mess with adaptors from 1" X 8" to 1 1/4" X 8", get yourself a Nova SN2 or a Oneway Stronghold or a Vicmark VM120. These will better fit the the Powermatic 3520b's capabilities.

I have a Barracuda, and like it, BUT, I have some gripes: the "cole jaws" that PSI sells aren't up to snuff. The holes for the bumpers are just the slightest bit too far apart; there are some sizes of bowls that I can't get the chuck to hold very well on; there isn't enough adjustment of the jaws one way or another to clamp down. Very annoying!!!!! You'd think that someone on a design team or even behind a computer could've figured it out! In addition, the jaws pictured as the "large jaws" are NOT what you get. instead of a true set of dovetail jaws, you get jaws that are nearly perfectly straight up, with two little metal ridges on the top edge of the jaws. They DO NOT have the holding power of a real set of dovetails; They couldn't. Granted, I haven't used another chuck, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out. If they extended further back into the recess, they would hold better. Now, if someone asked me if I like my chuck, I'd say, it runs smooth, and is a decent value, but would I buy another one, no. I recently became aware of the Grizzly chuck, http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Ja...-x-8-TPI/H6267 , that is apparently a copy of I think a oneway; hopefully someone else will chime in here; and fits all the oneway jaws. I may be wrong on whose copy it is, but I think this is much better suited to fit your lathe. You'll find a lot more attatchments, and more quality ones at that. I wish I'd seen it before I bought my Barracuda. Oh well.

A great chuck for a small lathe!

The barracuda is a wekk designed "small" chuck. It is a good place to start. Mine works great on my HF 1236. Don't know about your bigger lathe.
    Bob

First, before you buy it from thru PSI, check it out on Amazon. It's usually quite a bit cheaper and they'll ship it for free.

I have one that I use on my mini and it works well. It's not the quality of my Oneway Talon but it does the job. They also make some larger versions that you might want to look at and see if they are threaded for a 1 1/4" spindle.

Craft Supplies also sells the same chuck as the Apprentice chuck.

Nathan the Grizzly chuck of which I have 2 are excellent chucks. They are a Vicmarc clone. All Vicmarc jaws will fit exactly. I have the VM100 which is the same as the Grizzly. Oneway jaws won't fit it. At least the oneway jaws my buddy has won't fit the Grizzly of mine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks to all....
    I went ahead and purchased the Supernova2 chuck with a 1-1/4"x8 insert and also two other jaw sets. A 100mm and a 130mm for large bowls. Is there any other jaws or accessories that would be beneficial to have?
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

I had a Barracuda 2 prior to getting my PM 3520B. Mine was an older version that took a square key and a threaded insert but an insert for 1 1/4 X 8 wasn't available. Not that it mattered anyway, The jaws became harder and harder to open and close and at least 2 of the screws that secure the jaws to the jaw slides stripped out the threads on the jaw slides.

I upgraded to a pair of Supernova2s immediately after receiving my Powermatic and I've never looked back. One has the standard 50mm jaws, the other has a pair of Powergrip jaws. They provide more than enough grip for turning and coring Mesquite blanks 18"+.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Glass View Post
    Thanks to all....
    I went ahead and purchased the Supernova2 chuck with a 1-1/4"x8 insert and also two other jaw sets. A 100mm and a 130mm for large bowls. Is there any other jaws or accessories that would be beneficial to have?

I guess it depends on what you are turning. I turn a lot of small angel Christmas tree ornaments from 1 1/4" stock so I frequently use the 35mm jaws to hold the cylinder after roughing between centers.

I have a set of the the long nose jaws which have been very handy when reverse chucking the body or lid for a lidded box. As a fairly new turner I am not sure I would have bought either since jaws are pricey. But, when I bought my Jet mini used with an SN2, it came with six sets of jaws! I never use the 25mm. Occasionally use the 35mm spigot. Now that I have a PM3520, I guess I should think about some larger jaws but will wait until I find I need them.

Mike
    God is great and life is good!

Jason,
    That gives me a good feeling to know that the Supernova2 will hold well on large bowls. I am really new and needed advice that was relevant to my new 3520b lathe. I'll look at the power grip jaws also. Thanks.
    Regards, Ken