Thread: My first Segmented Pen and BLO/CA Finish

Blog Entries

My first Segmented Pen and BLO/CA Finish

With the day off, my wife at work and no school this week, I was feeling adventurous in the shop. After seeing that post on CA/BLO finishing videos, I wanted to give it a try. I also have wanted to give segmented pen turning a try, so I killed 2 birds with 1 stone today.

The pen is made from walnut and maple scrap, cut into 1/4" segments. For my first attempt (truthfully 2nd attempt because the first one I tried today blew out) I'm happy with the way this one turned out, but the next one I try will use 1/8" segments and I will do a better job lining up the segments.

I think I may have found my new favorite finish in the BLO/CA. Thanks to all that turned me on to it.

This was a very fun project and I look forward to making additional segmented pens. I never thought I would use so many tools just to make a single pen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice. Looks good. I have the push to try the blo / CA finish also. How hard was it to learn? If you screw it up can you easily fix any trouble areas?

Thanks and keep up the good work.
    Greg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cuetara View Post
    Very nice. Looks good. I have the push to try the blo / CA finish also. How hard was it to learn? If you screw it up can you easily fix any trouble areas?

Thanks and keep up the good work.
    Greg
    Here is the video of the method I used:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBTbC...eature=related

It was pretty easy and fortunately I did not screw up the finish, so I cannot answer your second question.

I plan on trying a few other application methods on future pens.

Tim great looking pen. Looks like you got the finish down good.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Blog Entries
    Nice job Tim, good looking pen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Wow! Those segments are really cool. Do you think it would look better on a bigger/thicker pen?

Bigger is better, Ben!

Your pen looks great. I just tried the finish on a pen I'll be posting soon. I just knew it had to be harder than it looked, ---not!
    Bob

Great looking pen Tim ... After ya get the CA/BLO mastered try it without the blo, I like it even better.

Nice job, Tim. I've been meaning to try one of those myself.

I don't think I've done anything other than ca/blo in over a year. It holds up well over time too - so far anyway.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Nice job.

I have yet to attempt a segmented pen, but I have been using the blo/ca method for a while now. It really works well. Some complain that it detracts from the natural look of the pen; but I generally like pens to have some shine to them.

I couldn't get video link to work so I do not know which "method" you were referring to. However, the way I tend to do it is to simply apply a small amount of blo to the pen first and cook it in a little. I find that it really brings out the grain. Be careful not to get it too hot that you create a crack (I find that this can be material-dependent). I then apply some thin ca using a folded up paper towel sliding back and forth to cure it quickly and create a smooth finish.

I tried the batting that some others recommend but could never get a smooth finish with it. Oh, I also make sure I have something over my finger because it is no fun gluing your finger to the pen. I actually cut the fingers off of nitrile gloves and just use it on the finger I hold the paper towel with.

Tim,

Nice Pen!! Now I want to try something segmented.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stolicky View Post
    Some complain that it detracts from the natural look of the pen; but I generally like pens to have some shine to them.
    Isn't that the age-old turner's dilema? Lightly sanded feels better but shine looks better.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Tim

I do not see the video. Do you have a better link than that.????
    John T.

blo/ca finish

Great pen!!! I tried the blo/ca finish last night. I thought it brought the grains out nicely. Also, I think this is the link for the blo/ca finish:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBTbCOL4npg
    To apply the ca I use the tiny plastic baggies the nibs come in. I have tons of them and I don't get ca all over me.
    "Waking up on the right side of the dirt each day" is what I strive for...

When you do the blo / ca finish do you always buff it out with EEE or something else? I tried my first blo / ca finish last night and it came out pretty good but it was not very shiny at all... I only sanded up to 400 so maybe i need to go further?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Greg