Thread: Any arborist here Pic of tree

Any arborist here Pic of tree

Hi this tree is in my yard.There was a large cedar beside it that fell about 15 months ago.Hence why theres no branches on one side till you get up high. It still buds where there branches (at least last yr). It has this disease spot that goes pretty deep into tree and maybe 7 feet tall.
    Should it be cut down or will it live? Im afarid of it falling and crushing fence or doing light damage to house.
    If it needs to be cut down , can I cut it at its V and leave the left side?

Any guesses still appreciated.

Thanks

Bad tree 004.jpg

Bad tree 005.jpg

Bad tree 006.jpg

I am not an arborist but I have cut down a lot of trees. I have seen many trees live with a large scar like that.

As far as cutting it down. All the weight is leaning towards the fence. There is a limit to what you can do with a well placed notch and a wedge. You will need
    2 two strong ropes as high as you can get them each pulled about 45deg off of the direction you want the tree to go. I don't know how tall the tree is but if its very tall pulling by hand will not work.

Do not use 1 line in the direction you want it to fall because if the tree has enough weight pulling in the other direction the tree could fall perpendicular to the direction you are pulling.

If you are trying to get it to fall along the fence line, say 20 to 40 degrees from parallel to the fence, it will be easier than if you are trying to pull it directly away from the fence.

If you haven't cut down many trees call a pro who will use a bucket or climb the tree and cut it in pieces on the way down.

I'm no arborist, but have a lot of experience with falling trees and hiring tree services. I also have a lot of experience with bonsai, but then that's a little different since my largest is only 2' tall.

I have a Y trunk on a 100' tall fir, and they put on a figure 8 wire rope cable up high where it cannot be seen, so that if the wind tries to make it "do the splits" it will not break off. In your case there is no foliage to hide such a thing.

If it were mine, I'd take it out. The disease is likely to spread and that branch fall. If you cut it off and leave the good side it's not going to be very attractive, and will be way off balance and likely to eventually break since the connection point will be weakened.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

This is a great resource for questions like yours.
    http://www.arboristsite.com/
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.