Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut/some Hickory GLOAT! PICS!

Blog Entries

Walnut/some Hickory GLOAT! PICS!

Before the pics , A little of what happened on the way home with a totally O V E R L O A D E D trailer.

I went to pick up the walnut at about noon I arrived at the place.

Turns out Wade is a sawyer has a portable bandsaw mill it was BIG and Orange.lol Woodmiser?

BIG OLD IRON in Wades shop and a BEAUTIFUL dresser made of Walnut, boards over 18" wide, he was working on.

NICE guy Wade is, took his bobcat and moved the logs around for me and placed them on other small logs so I would not hit the ground.

He set me up with 4 logs ranging in size of 16",18" and 20" measured across the cut face, and about 18' long. :biggrin:

And he said there you go, that should get you started, If you want me to move out anymore logs just let me know,i'll be in the shop.

Logs were in the back of the lot, ground was uneven covered in snow and ice( was sunny and 30 today) so he had me unhitch my trailer and used his bobcat with a sleeve that fit over one of the front fork with a 2" hitch ball on it and moved my trailer right up to all the logs. :biggrin:

I cut those logs up and then started cutting up any logs in the other piles I could safely get at and cut up.

Got myself at least 15 if not 20 crotches of all sizes.

I loaded the large stuff on the bottom of my trailer , again he offered to bobcated the big stuff with a bucket right up to my trailer so I only had to roll them off into the trailer. :yes:
    I loaded most then Wade and I hand loaded the Big stuff.

Then I just started PILING the trailer high with walnut, so much so that my trailers fenders only had at most 3/8ths" clearence between the tire and the inner top of the fender, but I only had 35 miles to go.

I was there from noon to about 4:40 having a good time chainsawing up wood like mad.

I tied everything down tarpped it and thanked him very much and was on my way home.

Started out ok, but soon into the drive home I had a blowout on one of my trailers tires, they were old and in bad shape.

I did buy another set of rims and tires at Menards last fall, only problem was they are actually taller tires.

I jacked the trailer up on the side of the raod and mounted the new tire and rim, BIG Problem, the inner rounded over edge of the fender actually hit the tire.

My trailer was a boat trailer and then made into the trailer you see here. whomever did it welded the fenders at an angle so there sticking out instead of level, so that puts the edge of the inner fender cutting into the tires inner tread.

I decided I couldnt sit on the side of a 4 lane 55MPH road all night so I tried my best to get at the inner fenders rounded down edge and somehow bent it outward, no luck.

I did what I could as best as I could and proceeded to drive on my way AVOIDING the tollway.

I got so far but every bump I could feel a slight slam and the rubber grabbed like a brake.

So I pulled over trying to figure out how I was gonna get all this load home.

I jacked up the trailer, measure the distance between the frame and the axel ane leaf spring(axels mounted inside the bow of the spring) it was 2-1/2" while jacked up on one side, the new larger tire side. So I took out my chainsaw and proceeded to slice me up some 2-1/2 inch thick slabs from a log and wedged it inbetween the frame and the shackles lowerd the trailer , that gave me some clearance, but took it away on the otherside so I did the same on that side too, and nursed it home, lost one side with about 15 minutes drive time according to the GPS arrival time. but I made it home without another flat and only minor cutting into the new tires tread, not deep, still plenty on tread that fender just caught that inner tread row on the outside edge of it.

LONG day but a good day overall, but man am I sore all over sitting here tonight.
    OK heres the Pics.

Notice the peeling black paint on the fender?
    Thats from the tire tread rubbing the inside of the fender with every teeny tiny bump in the rad, heated it up pretty good.

Hickory Dickory Doc. Gonna use it for a few Mallets.

One o f 15-20 crotch pieces.

The big stuff is buried and i'm just too sore and tired to dig it out .
    Man I NEED 5 Gals. of Anchor Seal!

THANKYOU WADE!!!! YOU DA MAN!!!
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Congrats on the wood haul. It looks like you have enough good walnut to keep you busy for a while.

One question, in some of the pictures there seems to be some white stuff on the ground. What's that? Just went outside my Mesa, Arizona, home, and I didn't see anything similar on the ground....

Blog Entries
    That's called S N O W !

We get that here in Chicago, nice change of pace.

And Thanks.

The Thanks really goes out to Wade for offering this up for FREE.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Wow, nice story and one hell of a haul! Just curious, how did you mount your extra wheel to your trailer on the rear corner?

Dale
    Jet1642-2hp (Mayo Lite)

What a haul! Congrats Scott!
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Thanks Dale,

The spare tire mount at the front on the trailer is all welded and I believe is original to its first life as a boat trailer.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike.

Now I need to get busy with the anchor sealing.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~

Wee bit 'o bowls on the hoof there, my friend! Nice......
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    LOTS of "hoof" ! lol

Now I need to find 5 gals of anchor seal locally.

I only have 1 gallon and a quart on hand.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~

Great haul Scott. Anchorsealing should keep you off the streets at least a couple of days plus a day or two of turning. Yep should keep ya out of trouble.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Blog Entries
    Awesome haul there Scott, lots of material for a pile of curlies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Better see if any local garden places want some fresh walnut mulch!

Nice haul. Looking forward to seeing alot of nice turnings!

After all you went through to get it home you are a serious turner! congrats on the score...Bill...

Ben- It's my understanding that you don't want to use walnut as mulch; I not sure what it is, but there is something in walnut that is toxic to other plants

Walnut is also toxic to some animals. I was planing a bunch of it and have a local farmer who takes all my saw dust for???? I wasn't sure what he did with it till he told me his daughters horse got real sick. The vet told them it was from the Walnut shavings in the bedding. Oops! Everything turned out all right and I just empty the drum before I start collecting any walnut now. Just an FYI Though.