Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharpening-Lost Confidence

Quote Originally Posted by Don C Peterson View Post
    I got a hand powered grinding wheel on eBay for $4.00 and went to work. After I made a decent tool support, I found I was able to grind and sharpen several of my chisels and plane irons much faster than I had previously.
    I've been curious to try a hand cranked grinding wheel myself, but I'm not a fan of playing the eBay bidding games. Are you aware of any reputable on-line retailers that sell these? Are there even new ones still being made?

Thanks.

I completely agree with all the above: your problem is that the stone is not flat, and the reason it's not flat is that the Norton "flattening" stone isn't flat.

I bought one not too long ago and it was WAY out of flat. I rubbed it on a sidewalk (they are surprisingly flat) and that helped a lot, but it still wasn't flat enough. I returned it.

I use a simple system for flattening stones: a piece of glass, a sheet of kevlar from Lee Valley, and some 400 grit lapping compound from Lee Valley. Very cheap and works like a charm.

I doubt that there are any hand powered grinding wheels being made, I'm not aware of them any if there are. I like eBay and if you are patient, you can still find what you want for reasonable prices. I tried the antique malls and estate sales, but I spent more money in gas and time than I figured it was worth.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Quote Originally Posted by Don C Peterson View Post
    I doubt that there are any hand powered grinding wheels being made, I'm not aware of them any if there are.
    O well. I'll just keep looking for a vintage/used one then.

I like eBay and if you are patient, you can still find what you want for reasonable prices. I tried the antique malls and estate sales, but I spent more money in gas and time than I figured it was worth.
    No thanks--not interested in eBay. Invariably my wife likes going to those antique malls and such, so now I've got something else to look for when she wants to go do that stuff.

I would start your own separate thread on finding the hand grinders, as this is hard to find. Who knows what's out there waiting for a new owner.