Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I sign & date My work??

hand held engraver

I use a hand held engraver to sign and date my work, usually on the bottom or back of a piece. If you get one, practice a little on some scrap to get the feel of it. They only cost about 20 bucks and last for years.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hallam View Post
    A word of caution when branding an end grain cutting board. I made 6 boards as Christmas gifts and branded them... However, each time the brand was applied there was a loud *crack* and a fissure formed in the particular block that I was applying the iron to. This crack seemed to close back up after finishing so I suspect it was just the sudden change in temperature and the wood had nowhere to go (glued on all sides in an end grain board).
    I branded about 30 end grain boards and had no problems at all. I wonder if you had the iron to hot or something. I heated mine up to the point I had to hold it on for a few seconds to get the brand.

I'm a hobby maker of period furniture reproductions, and I sign and date my chests on the inside with a sharpie marker, usually in a place where it can be seen when a drawer is removed. Also, I sometimes include a short reference to the piece, like where the lumber came from, or the price of the lumber. If there's space, like on the underside of a drawer, sometimes I write a short reference to some recent local historical event, or local weather, or other verifiable reference that will validate the place and time of construction.

I bought some laser etched disks that I saw advertised in the back of one of the woodworking magazines. They include my name, but since I didn't think I'd use all of them last year (which I didn't) I substituted the words,"Hand Made," for the year. It turned out that the disks are exactly the same size as one of my Forstner bits, so I'm able to use it to drill a hole to set them in. I think that they look great. I'm sure that there are people here on Sawmill Creek (see - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/engravers.php) who could make something like that for you.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 02-25-2008 at 10:51 PM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

My Medallions

I had a colleague in the photo engraving business make medallions like this on photosensitive plates. I cut them out to an engraved boundary, sand the edges and spray paint them with any color I want. Then I use wet/dry sandpaper (to 400 grit) to restore the copper face and epoxy them into a 1-1/4" depression made with a forstner bit in an inconspicuous spot on the project. My customers like them too.

I have a 2" enamel coated brass disk etched with my artwork at a trophy shop. I get a new set made each year with the current date. I inlay them about 1/16" deep using 2" forstner bit.

I put one inside a single drawer, unsigned as shown above, and I also place one underneath casework, or under table tops signed with a fine tipped Sharpie between coats of clear coat.

I think they look very professional and very classy.
    John

Chisel And Bit
    Custom Crafted Furniture

If you know someone with a laser you could knock out an emblem on round anodized aluminum or something similar and inset it or otherwise attach it somewhere. It would be cheap to do and I have done hundreds of similar things for coat tags, key chains and the like.

It is one of my projects that hasn't gotten there yet. I sign cabinets up top somewhere under the finish.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I used a sharpie and wasn't too happy. I got a branding iron from Rockler as an xmas gift and used successfully on the end grain of cutting boards among other things.
    Gary

I too use an ink pad and stamp and recess a penny next to it. People have remarked that they liked it for posterity reasons.
    Ray Scheller

Change is inevitable except from vending machines.

I have always been fond of the signature that Krenov uses on his work--just a simple stylized "JK" carved with a knife or maybe a v-gouge. I don't remember if he included a date, but there's no reason why you couldn't. There are pictures in one of his books.

That said, I sign in pencil and then go over it with a wood burner with a fine tip.

I have been using a sharpie to sign my initials and the year of completion.
    I have thought about a branding iron (electric) but they are costly
    Lori K

http://brandnew.comis the company that made the branding iron for the NYW. You can get a generic iron or you can send them artwork and they'll make a custom one with a company logo or your name.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

I sign it a vibrating etching tool before I oil or stain it. Subtle, yet readable.

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    On some of my projects I have used a set of alpha-numeric stamps, with a fence set up to get good alignment. Then I fill in the "incised" letters/numbers with a permanent ink Sharpie and finish as usual. Works for me! I think I bought the stamp set at Lee Valley, then made a holder with an inclined face to ease its use.
    Attached Images Attached Images