Thread: Bench Design - Tail Vise

Bench Design - Tail Vise

I'm gathering materials, plans and ideas in an effort to combine them all in a worthwhile (first) workbench. Thanks for the feedback so far.

I'm waffling on the tail vise, which is probably a result of my limited (nil) experience with hand tools. While I am acquiring some hand tools to "tune" joinery, I'm likely to continue using electrons. I'm leaning toward a "sliding block" design for a the following reasons:

(1) I don't see "holding" anything in the "end" position with a tradional tail vise; and

(2) I think the occasions I would "hold" something on the front of the bench (or vertical) will be rare.

Please offer your opinions (support or critique) based on experience.

Thanks,
    Andy

Blog Entries
    I put a regular quick release front vise in the front and tail positions. Like you I was not sure how I would use them. I find I use the tail position vise with dogs more than the face vise position. Next time I will build with a regular tail vise. Until I had woodworking vises to work with, I guess I was thinking about them like machinist's vises and they aren't always used that way.

Just a thought; I am really glad I sunk my rear jaws into the apron to allow holding of long pieces against the front of the bench top. Here is a test fit of the pocket:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...8&d=1179080670

and a test fit of the front jaw block:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...6&d=1179287019
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-25-2008 at 11:56 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Skip it. It's not worth the extra effort in my opinion. I went through the trouble on my bench of building a tail vise and I almost never use it (I work entirely by hand). Also, you are never supposed to use it to clamp to the end of the bench. That shoulder is purely decorative on the newer sliding plate style tail vises. On the older all wood tail vises it was part of the guide system.

You can get the same results as a tail vise by using bench dogs in holes and a wedge system to do the clamping. Drill some holes, make a couple of wedges of different thickness's.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

You could try doing what Chris Schwarz did on his "Holtzapffel" workbench and use a quick-release iron vise with a wooden jaw and a bench dog.

http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/...Workbench.aspx

I put a tail vise on my bench and use it all the time, seriously. It's the most used tool on the bench. I do most of my work by hand, all planing and scraping done by hand, no sanding. I'd spend the money and get the one with the guide rails, I built my traditionally with the guide piece under the face part and it was a pain in the arse. Doing it again I'd buy the one with the guides.

LOL, the tail vise screw I ordered myself from Lee Valley for my birthday came today. LOL
    I do like the old traditional leg vise screws better than the modern ones tho. they are double lead screws and lots faster than the single lead newer ones. also if you afraid of oil stain from metal bench vises or screws, clean off completely with denatured alchohol and spray them with liquid silicon in the spray can, no black mess and they don't act like a magnet for sawdust.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. Planning to get some lumber on Friday.

Andy