Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Drill Selection

Question Cordless Drill Selection

I'm gearing up to head back in the shop with the warmer weather just around the corner. My cordless drill is dead and I'm looking to replace it. I'm looking at the DeWalt 9.6V model for $100 (2 batteries and 1 hr charger). It would be mostly for light/medium duty drilling in the workshop and around the house. Big holes get the corded drill and I use an impact driver for all of my screws. Seems well reviewed, so what do you think? Any owners out there?
    Side note: Lowe's is offering 10% off all DeWalt products for the rest of the month, just hit the contractors desk for the flier and the cashier will scan it for you, don't need to be a contractor. Humm if I only had enough cash for the planer...

thanks - wayne

I've had DeWalt drills before and generally like them except their battery infant mortality rate seemed to keep me on the drill upgrade path. It was always cheaper (or near the same cost) to get a new drill rather than just replace the batteries. Never tried one of the battery rebuilders though. I bought a Panasonic 1-2 years ago and love it. Tons of torque, 1/2" chuck, and great battery life. The only negative in comparison with the DW's is the lack of on-board bit storage recesses and the higher price.
    Use the fence Luke

I've had less-than-great luck with a Dewalt impact driver's batteries. They wore out in just a couple years. I was going to replace the batteries, but many of Dewalt's batteries don't have easily found ah ratings. When I eventually found them for the drill I was looking at buying, they were lower than most of the consumer-grade tools. Before I could decide what to do, someting failed spectacularly and one of the batteries actually overheated somehow and let the smoke out--and not while in the charger, but while on the impact. After that the impact didn't work either with the other battery.

I'm not sure what is wrong with your drill, but I have had good luck with having batteries rebuilt for both my Porter Cable and Ryobi cordless tools. Both are even better than new. My dad bought a Ridgid drill that he doesn't like, but I do. His complaint is the weight. I think it works nicely, has good battery life, and has a fast double charger.

A friend has the small Bosch cordless drill. If I were buying a low voltage drill today, I'd look closely at the Bosch. I have several Dewalt 12 volt tools and like them. I have owned and used them for many years with good service. I use them to build decks in the summer months. Batteries have a decent life and can be rebuilt for a reasonable cost. If Dewalt still offers the 12 volt model, check it out - light and powerful for its size.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Bitting View Post
    I'm gearing up to head back in the shop with the warmer weather just around the corner. My cordless drill is dead and I'm looking to replace it. I'm looking at the DeWalt 9.6V model for $100 (2 batteries and 1 hr charger). It would be mostly for light/medium duty drilling in the workshop and around the house. Big holes get the corded drill and I use an impact driver for all of my screws. Seems well reviewed, so what do you think? Any owners out there?
    Side note: Lowe's is offering 10% off all DeWalt products for the rest of the month, just hit the contractors desk for the flier and the cashier will scan it for you, don't need to be a contractor. Humm if I only had enough cash for the planer...
    thanks - wayne
    I have two of those drills (DW926K) , love 'em. They're just the right size.
    After more than 4 years, my one standard and one XR (1.7ah) extra capacity batteries are starting to give out and don't hold a charge for very long.
    I was looking for a place to either recondition or replace the cells and found 3.0ah batteries for such a good price on ebay (accurepublic) that I bought two instead. I received them last night and they're charging now.

I clicked on this thread to see if anyone was going to mention the new Li-Ion drills. I think we all will be moving to them in the future, but they're still priced so high that I think I'll wait a while and continue to use my Dewalt. I'm looking forward to the li-ions coming down in price, though.

In my humble opinion, you'd be crazy not to get one with lithium ion batteries these days. They aren't dead every time you leave them sit for two weeks, and they give twice the capacity for the weight.

Home Depot has an outfit I picked up a while ago that has been great. It is a Ryobi 18 V Li-Ion drill flashlight kit. It was $180, may be less now. Lots of power. I added the 18 V impact driver ($70) and have been very happy. Ryobi quality is way up in recent years.

If that's too much dough, Ryobi also has a 12 V Li-Ion drill/driver, though it doesn't have the two-speed gearbox of the DeWalt 12 V drill you're considering. (but it weighs half as much, and costs $80. No clutch)

Hi,

I believe it was FWW magazine that had a test on rebuild batteries. Might make sense to check that out in case you're married to the tools you have.

One thing about the cordless tools is the cost of batteries. I got so tired of paying for expensive batteries that I got the Borg Ryobi 18V. The batteries for those is only in the high $20's if I recall correct. They also have the Li-Ion now which would be type I would look for if getting new drill. The drill has performed flawless.

Got to have gearing
    Got to have clutch
    Got to have cheap replacement batteries, if possible Li-Ion

Michael

I'll throw in a plug for the Bosch PS20-2 Lithium 10.8V driver. I've got one of those and a bigger Makita 18V LXT drill, and I find myself reaching for the little Bosch more often than not. It is so dang small it fits in spaces the bigger drill doesn't, and its so light that I can screw for--er--I hardly notice it. I also thought the little LED lights were gimmicky, but I kind of like that feature now. It has a surprising amount of power for its size.

The only caveat I'd note is that it is really set up as a cordless screwdriver, so it doesn't have a conventional chuck. If you are doing light drilling, you probably would have to get an add on chuck, which is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mims View Post
    I clicked on this thread to see if anyone was going to mention the new Li-Ion drills. I think we all will be moving to them in the future, but they're still priced so high that I think I'll wait a while and continue to use my Dewalt. I'm looking forward to the li-ions coming down in price, though.
    I was resisting mentioning them since they are probably more than he wants to spend. I have the dewalt 18V 'nano' lithium ion batteries and they are wonderful. They have an expected lifespan of 2000 charge cycles and make all of my old 18v tools a pound lighter with the same amount of power. In general, the 18V lithium ion drills weigh about the same as a 14.4V using standard batteries.

Wayne,

You might consider this one.
    http://bosch.cpotools.com/drills/3-8.../34614-rt.html

I've owned one for 6 years and have really pushed it hard and it still runs. Comes with charger and two batteries. Lots of power.

Cheers,

KP

Thanks for all the info. My budget is stuck at the $80-$100 range. Between the Dewalt 10% and store credit I have, I've got an extra 20 bucks to play with. I'll have to look around a bit more, just can't wait too long, sale ends in 3 days.

Jim - why do you have two of them? Is it for the same reason I have two tape measures, two squares, two pencils, and two utility knives - so they can both end up of the "other" end of the workshop and still out of reach!

I'm looking at the DeWalt 9.6V model for $100 (2 batteries and 1 hr charger). It would be mostly for light/medium duty drilling in the workshop and around the house. Big holes get the corded drill and I use an impact driver for all of my screws. Seems well reviewed, so what do you think? Any owners out there?

thanks - wayne
    I have one of the DW 9.6V driver/drill kits and love it. Comfortable, light (especially compared to the 18V monsters) etc. The kit you mention with two batteries and charger along with the drill is hard to beat.

The DW replaced an ancient (20+ year old) Makita 9.6V and I was amazed at how much better the new DW was compared to the old model.

I use the same approach that you are describing; a light 9.6V for 99% of my needs, and the old corded drill for the remainer.

We are fortunate that we have so many choices for good cordless driver/drills; I don't think you can go too wrong if you stay with a name brand (DeWalt, PC, Makita, Bosch, etc). So shop by price, availability and how they feel in your hand...

Hope this helps.

Tom H.

Thanks for all the info. My budget is stuck at the $80-$100 range. Between the Dewalt 10% and store credit I have, I've got an extra 20 bucks to play with. I'll have to look around a bit more, just can't wait too long, sale ends in 3 days.

Jim - why do you have two of them? Is it for the same reason I have two tape measures, two squares, two pencils, and two utility knives - so they can both end up of the "other" end of the workshop and still out of reach!
    Well, I couldn't resist a sale on ebay.
    I also thought I'd be using two a lot, one with a drill bit and one with a driver bit, but I find that with an adapter that flips the drill and bit, I really only use one.
    - Jim

Blog Entries
    Wayne
    I just picked up one of these for $90. Have not had a lot of time on it yet, though. Handles nicely.

http://bosch.cpotools.com/cordless_t...ps20-2-rt.html

12 volt ridgid @ the borg. $79 and lifetime service guarantee. comes with 2 batteries, quick charger and tool bag.

rb