Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw Stop incra Fence question

Saw Stop incra Fence question

I want to put a router wing on a sawstop if I get it. With that in mind should I get the incra tsls fence system when I order the saw instead of the stock fence?

http://www.woodpeck.com/tspk1.html
    http://www.woodpeck.com/tslssystem.html

It looks like a better set up with the router wing, does it work well with the table saw side of the set up. Has anyone used one?
    -=Jason=-

Incra/Sawstop etc

Here is the deal. The sawstop table is bigger than most any other table saw. It is 30" deep. This is no big deal but means you have to be careful in just ordering stuff for it. I was wanting to add a router table and called Incra and talked to Perry. Great guy and really knows his stuff. Incra sells basically the same router table top as woodpecker. He said to get the center mount router table that is almost a perfect fit for the sawstop with incra rails for the right side. This is where I wanted it. Here is a link. Scroll down. IT is the one that is 24" by 32" (the real size is fractionally smaller than this.)

http://www.incra.com/product_rta_routertables.htm

Also if you don't already have the incra fence you have to order it specifically for the sawstop. It costs and extra $30 for the wider bridge.

Yup I am aware of this they have a specifice set up for the saw stop, thanks for pointing that out. My real question is will it be a mistake to go this way than the saw stop fence. The trouble is you need to replace the rales so after this is on you can not use the stock saw stop fence and swap back and forth. So this will be my primary fence for jugs and the table saw.
    -=Jason=-

Definately get the Incra fence...love it love it love it. The only bugaboo with the Incra fence system:

(1) Due to its "T-Fence", it can stick out way beyond the saw with wide cuts and
    (2) The ends of the rails are sharp and can gouge you...wish Incra made 'bumper caps' to insert into the end of their rails. I email Incra a couple times a year asking for such an item but I never hear back from them.

Still, I love the accuracy and repeatability with this fence system.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Jason,

Heres another option.

I dont have the sawstop but I do have an incra router table as my extension table with a LS wonderfence fence. My main table saw fence is a b-meyer style. I like both fences but if I was buying a sawstop today I would go with the incra fence for both router and tablesaw.

~mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    (2) The ends of the rails are sharp and can gouge you...wish Incra made 'bumper caps' to insert into the end of their rails. I email Incra a couple times a year asking for such an item but I never hear back from them.

I went around the ends on mine with a file and some 180 grit sandpaper to ease the edges after ripping my pants on mine. Granted ya still know it when ya bump into them, but at least they aren't "sharp" DAMKHIT.
    Overall, the incremental positioning is AWESOME for routing and also very very handy for TS stuff. I went from a Biese clone (General TS fence) to the Incra and am not looking back.

Greg

I did not have to buy the modified fence parts to fit the Incra on my SawStop. I posted a thread on here about it (link below). If you are wanting to put a router in the TS wing, I don't see any reason why the Incra would not be a good fence for you. I use mine on my Sawstop, and although I will put in a router wing, I haven't done so yet. I still like the Incra.

Here are a few posts on the Incra, with some pics to it set up on some SawStops.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54043

Standard Incra TSLS installed on Sawstop

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56396

Perfect thank you, incra it will be!
    -=Jason=-

Sorry, I misread your question. Yes, I would get the incra fence again. I really like it. And if you are going to have the router table in the saw that would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Definately get the Incra fence...love it love it love it. The only bugaboo with the Incra fence system:

(1) Due to its "T-Fence", it can stick out way beyond the saw with wide cuts and

What about using a little "liquid plastic" on the sharp areas?

I have wanted to buy an incra fence, but don't have the room right now.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Consider the router table on the LEFT side.

Chris, I have the Incra TSIII system w/router table on the right that I used for my Jet before I bought the SawStop. One call to Woodpeckers got the new parts to fit the SawStop. I am in the process of installing it right now.

After using the right side router table, if I was doing it over, I would put the router table on the left side of my saw, not the right. The reason is that, in order to use the TSIII fence with the router, you have to have a tremendous amount of room to the right of your saw for the center section to clear. Even then, you have only a few inches of clearance from the fence to the router. There just is no room when the router table is to the right. You often have to take the fence assembly off and turn it around in order to use it conveniently.

By putting the router table on the left, you only need to slide the assembly to the left a little bit to use the fence on the router table. By installing a second set of positive stops, you can set the fence/scales to zero one time and have a positive "0" reference every time.
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

I'm going to be ordering a saw stop from woodcraft in the next couple weeks. If I want to use the incra fence system do I just order a sawstop without any extensions and swap the short rails for the incra rails?

Yes

The sawstop fence is sold seperately for about $300. So you just buy the Incra TS III system instead. I think the Incra fence is $400 or $450. And as I pointed out earlier is about and extra $30 for the sawstop.

And if I were in your shoes I would buy the incra fence between 7 and 9 am on Saturday March 1st. That is the woodcraft march madness door buster where you get 15% off. (Sawstop, Festool, Leigh Jigs Yada, Yada excluded)

Oh yeah. That black extension wing on the sawstop is extra also. It does not work (well) with the incra rails so save your money or I will sell you mine for cheap if you live close.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe View Post
    What about using a little "liquid plastic" on the sharp areas?

I have wanted to buy an incra fence, but don't have the room right now.
    Martin, that might just be an answer to the question. Personally I haven't had too many encounters with the rails, but I just might try your "fix."

As for room for the Incra fence, it doesn't take up that much extra space. The rails stick out just as far to the right as any other rails. The only tome "extra space" is taken up is when the fence is set for a wide cut. Then the central "positioned" sticks out beyond the end of the rails.

BTW -- I am very happy with my Incra fence on my SawStop.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

ok so I understand i really want to not buy the R side extension from saw stop and add a router table or extension to the left side of the saw so I do not have to reverse the incra fense. I guess that would work, does this affect ripping wood at all?
    -=Jason=-