Thread: First time using Tung Oil

Question First time using Tung Oil

Ok I am going to use tung oil for my first time and would like to get some expert advice on how to do it right. It will be used on Red Oak and Baltic Birch. It will be on a router table cabinet.

Thanks
    Charlie

What kind of tung oil do you mean? It's not tung oil unless it says 100% or Pure tung oil on the label.

If you have pure tung oil and haven't opened it, I suggest you return it. Tung oil is has no particular advantages over BLO and costs more. Also it is finicky. It takes a good 2-3 days drying between coats, despite the label on Woodcraft tung oil. Each coat must be lightly sanded (400 grit) before the next coat is applied, and then it takes 5-6 coats to generate an even sheen. It offers virtually no protection.

Products named Tung Oil Finish are either oil/varnish mixes or wiping varnishes. Formby's is a wiping varnish. These will actually perform better than pure tung oil, but I don't recommend them because it tends to encourage the misleading marketing. (To read the label correctly you have to recognize that "tung oil" is an adjective suggesting a tung oil look, not a noun specifying an ingredient.)

For your usage I'd recommend a oil/varnish mix that you can make yourself with equal proportions of BLO/Varnish/Thinner, or you can use Watco. I very much doubt you will see any difference compared to pure tung oil, but will get a bit more protection from spills.

I agree with Steve, unless you've purchased Polymerised Tung Oil.

Polymerised Tung Oil, in my opinion is far superior to boiled linseed oil, and I use it on Arts and Crafts furniture with great results.

regards, Rod.