Thread: Stanley 5 1/4 help

Stanley 5 1/4 help

I just received this 5 1/4 from the bay. A very nice type 13. Good iron. I can fix the tote, but there is a hairline crack on the left cheek, which was not disclosed in the listing. You can see it if you start at the adjustment wheel and look towards the white paint marks.

Any suggestions?

It is fairly solid.

I can return it to the seller. Can one solder cast iron? I can just clean it up and use it.

Thanks,
    Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images

Personally, I would return it to the seller as not as described. There are better 5 1/4s out there to be had for a reasonable price.

JMHO

Return it. Cracks are verboten.

Gripe to the seller about not disclosing as well.

Blog Entries
    I agree, the angle of the photo on the auction site that must not be named would not reveal the crack.

The 5 1/4 was used a lot in schools. I would suspect the majority of them have been treated unkindly. If this is a size you really want, then it would be prudent to be very diligent in your search. Ask a lot of question and make sure the pictures show more than just one angle.

jim

Anyway, the seller is a very decent guy. Offered me a full refund. We agreed to a partial and I keep the plane for salvage.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Ken

Blog Entries

Glad You Were Able to Resolve a Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Werner View Post
    Anyway, the seller is a very decent guy. Offered me a full refund. We agreed to a partial and I keep the plane for salvage.
    When I have had such a problem resolved on the auction site that must not be named. I have left good feedback and mentioned problem resolved.

You might want to try out the plane for feel before buying another of the same size.

My #3 seemed great when it came. That made me think the #5 1/4 would be a natural good user size. Decided it was OK, but did not really feel right for my use.

The #3 and #4 1/2 seem to compliment each other much better for my use.

jim

Hi Jim,
    I definitely want it as a user. As to how much I'll use it, I'm not sure. I just enjoy being able to use different planes as the mood strikes, and also it's handy to have another sharp one ready to go. The 5 1/4 completes my set from 3-8 including the fractions.

Can't justify the price of a #2. [yet]

Blog Entries

User Planes

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Werner View Post
    Hi Jim,
    I definitely want it as a user. As to how much I'll use it, I'm not sure. I just enjoy being able to use different planes as the mood strikes, and also it's handy to have another sharp one ready to go. The 5 1/4 completes my set from 3-8 including the fractions.

Can't justify the price of a #2. [yet]
    The #1 especially and the #2 possibly may be less costly from LV or LN. Both can be useful when there is a small patch of swirl needing to be attacked from multiple directions. I got lucky on a #2 just by being patient and working a day of OT so SWMBO didn't mind my spending a little extra on myself.

I do not have a #5 1/2, #6 or #8. I just recently got lucky on a #4 1/2 purchase. I like it, but it also makes me think a #5 1/2 would be just a bit big. I doubt my selection will grow much in the bench plane arena unless one of those deals that is hard to pass up comes along. Right now there are 5 #4 size planes in my shop. Thinking eventually I may sell all but 1 or 2 of them.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    When I have had such a problem resolved on the auction site that must not be named.
    Jim, there is no harm in mentioning eBay, infact you can even post an auction number, just don't post a direct link to it.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

My #4 planes seem to reproduce, just can't pass a good one by. I put a 10 degree back bevel on one, cheap man's high angle frog.