Thread: Workbench Tip

Workbench Tip

One of my old Mentors, now deceased had a shop full of almost all Powermatic tools, still like new, he covered them when not in use and kept them wiped down. His shop was in his basement with a tile ceiling, florescent lights lots of them and a tiled floor.
    He made a beautiful work bench, took it 300 miles to get the top sanded smooth with a big drum sander, then spent 3 weeks scraping the top to a sheen and using a Starret straight edge and a .0005 feeler gauge to get it absoulutely level. he used it also as an assembly and finishing table. when ever he was not using it as a workbench he had the side of a refrigerator cardboard shipping box on top of it with the corners notched and glued together with a 3 inch overhang all the way around.
    I set a can of pop on it once, the pop was in a cooler cover, I thought I was gonna get bodily thrown out.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

forgot he ordered a $500 machinists level just to level his machines and that table. accuracy was .0001 in 5 ft as I remember.

fussiest person I ever met. retired pipe welder, one of the best I ever saw, he spent 3 weeks laying out and assembling the wood for a kitchen chair once, made a set of 4 each one took the same amount of time.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 02-26-2008 at 5:16 PM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

wow, I thought I was stepping up when I used a 48" level on my workbench and called it good. I find that one of my benches always has a beverage of some sort on it...

I spilled beer on my bench the other day. I felt bad because it was a waste of beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Ward View Post
    I spilled beer on my bench the other day. I felt bad because it was a waste of beer.
    Just remember, give it 30 minutes, then wipe it off with a clean, lint-free rag.

Reapply as needed.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard