Thread: Carpenter's Square Book Of Instruction needed.

Smile Carpenter's Square Book Of Instruction needed.

I've searched the internet and this forum for any kind of information regarding instructions on using a Carpenter's Square. Instructions much like the booklet that comes with those aluminum tri squares you find at some hardware stores and I bought one BTW. Stanley makes a nice square which I use but does not come with any kind of instructions. There are some squares that have some scales that you can measure or calculate board feet etc etc etc and rafter stuff but still no instructions.

Other than signing up for Carpenter School can anyone point me in the right direction on any How To info to use this square with some kind of
    sophistication. Wouldn't mind at all on knowing how to get some "smarts" using this great tool other than a measuring and squaring device.

BTW this is my first post here at SMC It's been great lurking around reading some great stuff about woodworking and turning.

Thanks in advance to all
    Don

Audels Carpenter Library 4 Volume set. The book "Tools, Steel Square, Joinery". EVERY woodworker should have this set.

For most of Stanley's tools, they have PDFs on their web site--it's a pita to find some, though.

Here's a link to a 2 MB PDF:
    http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...&attachid=1924

You can right-click the link above and select 'Save Target As' (if in IE). If you load it into your browser, there should be an icon after it is fully loaded to save the PDF to your computer.

fwiw, here's the main site:
    http://www.stanleytools.com/default....&PAGE=HOME.HTM

For the catalogs/manuals you would go to the Knowledge Base.

Take care, Mike

Here is a link to one on Lee Valley's site.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...096,46100&ap=3

James Davis

There's a new book out called "Essential Guide to the Steel Square: Facts, Short-Cuts, and Problem-Solving Secrets for Carpenters, Woodworkers and Builders" by Ken Horner that you may want to check out.
    I bought a copy the other day and so far I like it.

Manny

years ago there was a 2 volume set of books on just the steel square. Try this one I wrote for blacksmith shop uses of the steel square. http://www.iforgeiron.com/blueprints...el-square.html

Oh BTW the best use of the Steel Square is when your back itches, grab it by the body and stick the tongue over your back, makes an excellent back scratcher. That's how I always started my seminars on layout.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

perfect timing. I just got a really nice Stanley brass plated carpenter's square. Its got a patent date of 1914. The brass has a beautiful patina.

ive got your RX right here

"The Steel Square"

by

Fred t. Hodgson

A Practical Treatise

"On the appilication of the steel square,
    Containing an exhaustive collection
    of problems and solutions"

I got my copy on amazon for about 5 dollars used. its got more information that you could ever use. it shows how to lay out every rafter known to man and ancient egyptians...LOL got lots of other useful tricks and tips as well.

ciao,

dan
    Building my own Legos!

Steel Square

Steel Square. By Gilbert Townsend. Published by the American Technical Institute. It has more than everything you need to know about the steel square. It can be found by using Bookfinder.com. My copy was printed in 1952. The book covers the scales and every type of rafter known to man.

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    Oh BTW the best use of the Steel Square is when your back itches, grab it by the body and stick the tongue over your back, makes an excellent back scratcher. That's how I always started my seminars on layout.
    Now that's funny right there, I don't care who y'are!

BTDT...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

WOW thanks all for the great response. Will do some serious shopping this weekend. I'll be laid up next week after surgery so I'll have some good reading time to myself. Will bring along my steel square for back scratching

Thanks

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Grow View Post
    perfect timing. I just got a really nice Stanley brass plated carpenter's square. Its got a patent date of 1914. The brass has a beautiful patina.
    Pics?! No pics...doesn't exist! haha
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

13. Free downloads

Don, here are some links to free books in PDF format:

Practical Treatise on the Steel Square, Vol.1 & 2 by F. T. Hodgson - http://www.wkfinetools.com/z_tDownL/...teelSquare.asp

The Steel Square and Its Uses by William A. Radford, 1907 - http://www.wkfinetools.com/z_tDownL/...teelSquare.asp

Have fun reading...

WK
    Wiktor