Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Face frame with a bead

Here's a video I found online while googling for "jack miter".

Well, that notcher is absolutely "the thing". But here is how I "do" these joints. I make a jig like the one in the attached (very crudely drawn...sorry) sketch. .
    mm_jig.jpg
    Cut away most of the waste with whatever you prefer (I use a bandsaw)
    Then I clamp the stock into the jig and use a flush trim bit to finish. The bearing surfaces also serve as a guide for the paring chisel needed to clean up the small round at the vertex of the angle. If there is a rail intersection at mid point in the stile, I make a similar jig only with a "V" type notch. This is nowhere as impressive as the notching machine but it's a lot cheaper! The miters on the ends of the rails are easily cut with a miter saw or a hand saw and guide.

YM

Here's what I did. I ground the bearing off a chamfer bit like Jim described above and then used it in a jig I built similar to this one:

It is described in more detail here:
    http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...brication.html

It took me a couple of hours to put together and test, but let me tell you it is dead on accurate.

The way that Norm did it most recently was with the table saw, cutting the miter with the blade tipped to 45 degrees and set the height of the bead, and then ripping the bead as far as you can before finishing up with a chisel.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Bill, Depending on how many face frames you have..... I have done a couple kitchens with the following method. I spin my mortisers head to 45 degrees, and use a placement jig for consistant location to get the mitered portion then shave off the bead with the bandsaw, cleanup with a chisel....

You know what I love about this stuff? It's that for every question there are so many great answers. I am beginning to think that my only regret about life being so short is that there is no way we are ever going to have time to be able to learn everything there is to know about anything!

YM

I think Russell hit the nail on the head. We all need a $5,000 Koffman machine. Well need might not be the correct word.