Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used Powermatic 66 vs. New Advice

It just takes some time and chrome polish to get the "shine" back. As for what can go wrong with the saw? Not much, the pinion gears some times need adjusting to keep the tilt and lift of the trunnion moving smoothly and easily. Typically the magnetic starters are the first thing to really go out, but I've only seen it happen to one saw personally. That was at a shop that had probably 8 Powermatic M66's in it. It was a old saw.

I personally would never purchase a 3hp table saw, except if it were to be used for dadoing alone. I have a 5hp saw Model 66 and occasionally wish it had a bit more oomf.

The search goes on for my PM 66, 3-HP, 1-PH beauty. Does PM experts know when PM stopped using Baldor?
    My saw was purchased new in 2004, it has a Baldor motor. Had it out once for service. I thought a bearing was going out.

Look for used equipment when you can. There are cabinet shops going tits up all over the place. Craigslist is a good source, as is K-Bid. Two weeks ago there was 3 shops on K-Bid going out of business in my area.

I'm with Eric - offer him $1000. Unless he can prove otherwise, assume the motor is dead and plan on replacing it. If you get it home and find out it works, you got an even better buy.
    Use the fence Luke

Offer less if he can't show that it runs then tentatively agree to the sale. Once there make sure that the trunion moves freely (if gunked up then clean the trunion and try). Also check the top for flatness. Don't bother too much with the wings as they can be shimmed and adjusted properly. Also check the flatness and squarness of the fence. That plastic material can be a PIA to get flat. You may notice bumps in the fence where the fence face is bolted on to the body. You may need to disassemble and flatten the mounting face. Also check for arbor runnout and belt adjustment. If things are fairly well adjusted then the saw is probably in good shape. If things are clunky, out of whack, etc. then you may end up with someone elses problem child.