Thread: I hate when this happens

I hate when this happens

Ever have one of those days?

While there's a lot of things I want to do, I realize I cannot do them all at once. So I chose to build the desk I've wanted, primarily because I've got most of the lumber for it. Cherry.

So I'm working on the frames for the frame and panel sides of the box that'll hold the drawers. Everything was going great, the frame for each side is being made of part cut from the same board so the grain and color will match. Everything was done in an orderly manner so they were evenly thick, mortises reference the same relative surface, and so on.

When I started putting the tenons into the mortises, I was wondering why I couldn't snug up the shoulder of the tenon. Turns out I cut the tenons 1/4" too long.

Oh, %#$%. So todays misadventure cost $35 at the lumber store buying a replacement board. As I write this, I turned that new board into replacement parts that assemble as they should. The frames are dry fit in the shop now.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    John.
    All's well that ends well!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Miscutting parts.... don't go there!! I probably have more lumber in miscut parts than some of us have in new stock. What's good is that you figured it out PRIOR to applying glue and reaching for the clamps.

I have mis-cut pieces all over my shop.....some get tossed, some get put in various places and others get <b>Thrown!!!</b>

I am now finding pieces that were "tossed" last year and I am turning those into PEN BLANKS.!!!!!

Oh well....live and learn as I always say.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

John,

LOL...sounds like something I would do. It is just part of the game. I do a lot of grain matching too. It's really a nightmare when you screw up grain matched boards. Glad it worked out for you.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by John Piwaron
    Ever have one of those days?
    I turned that new board into replacement parts that assemble as they should. The frames are dry fit in the shop now.
    John, at least you dry fit. I agreed to make some 30x48 storage shelves for a client, and on the fourth one (after dry-fitting the first three), I rushed and went right to glue-up. (Poo-poo me, I was cold and hungry) So I smear the glue, fit the first two boards, and OOPS! forgot to cut the biscuit slots on one of the boards. Doh!
    Wiped the glue off and proceeded. Small potatoes, I know, but still maddening. Must have been in the air today. Walt.

John, why can't you just cut off the tenon?
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    John, why can't you just cut off the tenon?
    To do so will make the overall length of the parts too short for where they must go.

I did'nt throw them away, I set them aside. Who know? Maybe some use will present itself. And it IS cherry, much to valuable to toss except as a last resort. Heck, if nothing else, they're useful for test cuts.