Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OSB Walls

OSB walls

I too used 7/16 OSB in my detached shop. Cheap - less than $5 per 4x8 sheet. I rolled on a coat of primer and then a topcoat of the cheapest white paint I could find - did it on the ground. To put it up consider screws, as you can take a sheet down whenever you might need to (wiring etc). Since I stapled up a poly vapor barrier, I didn't bother caulking anything.

It has worked out beautifully, and the shop is nice and bright. Used it on the ceilings too (drywall lift is the way to go).

Do it; you won't regret it.

Steve

Thank You

I am going to get 5-6 sheets tomorrow to put up. It will take 20 sheets to do all the walls. I will pick up some oil based primer to start with that should stop the delamination. I will caulk the corners and the joints with some basic painters caulk. Once I get it all hung and primed I will us the outside white paint on top. Thanks much for the input.

When I put up my OSB, I put a bead of Alex Plus paintable caulk on the end of the sheet on the wall, then slid the nets sheet into it. Use a putty knife to scrape off the excess, and wipe on the next edge. Worked very well. I used Kilz water based primer. Took two coats to get a real even finish. I left that as is. It is white enough for me for now. Some of the top layers did delaminate. I just left them. Guess I could spit them and brush some glued in and rig something to press it tight while it cured. Maybe later. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

OSB walls

I recently built a 20x20 inside an existing outbuilding. I used OSB on the outside because of tractor, mower traffic and drywall on the inside because I thought the lighting would be better, thus far it seems to be working out pretty well.

Curt

I'm in the same process. Just bought some 1/2" OSB for my walls. Still trying to decide if I want to paint it or not. Some good ideas here.

Jerry
    "In 15 to 20 years you just might be a good beginner" -Master Woodworker to his apprentice son (Frank Klausz)

I was on a service call recently and the garage was panelled with OSB and they sealed it with Thompsons weather seal, made a nice finish and sealed it also.

The benefit of painting it is lighting. As I painted, it was like someone was adding more lights.

Go for the osb as it handles the board bangs better than drywall. Also as stated earlier, paint if white. You cannot beleive the difference. I've added two photos of the shop so we can see the difference. And yes, I still have to finish the painting.
    Victor
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

Great info--just finished insulating and wiring my garage shop and plan to put OSB on the walls (painted) and sheetrock on the ceiling. Good tips here on the paint, thanks!

Hey John,

Did you have help on the ceiling or use a panel lift. I rented one to do my ceiling and it was so slick.
    I'll never muscle another sheet up to a ceiling.

Curt

im debating my workshop layout (will post a thread on that soon ) and am concerned over codes with OSB walls.
    in CT, I believe you have to use BX and metal boxes instead of romex and plastic boxes.

Not sure of any other fire code issues yet. Exterior walls (if in an interior space) may have to be double sheetrock?

no one else is concerned over this?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Are there any (fire) code issues with regards to using OSB over drywall? For example, the section of your shop or garage that may share walls with your house--does it need drywall over OSB?

Either way, paint it a nice white to reflect light...I used a semi-gloss exterior grade white.
    Interestingly, my garage has drywall over the electrical entrance area and over the laundry hookup area. The large wall surface common to the house and the garage is doubled plywood ???

No wonder we can't just use common sense and stay within code, its just too wierd sometimes.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The largest wall common between my house and garage also had plywood on it with drywall on top of that. I thought it might be for sheer strength but I've yet to see this anywhere else in the house so it's a mystery.

Is it in case you try to drive into your house? The plywood would help this?? No clue.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

are you guys sure that isnt the exterior wall of your house?
    most houses are constructed with plywood exterior, then clad. since this wall isnt a true exterior wall, but built separate from the house framing, its covered with drywall. the drywall is also probably CA fire code compliance. most garages are required to have it.
    Last edited by Leo Zick; 03-20-2008 at 1:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have unpainted OSB in my garage. It was installed about 10 years ago when the house was built. It was fine for about 8 years or so. Since then some of the chips in the OSB have started separating kinda like it is drying out. Nothing serious, some of the chips are starting curl up a little making the surface pretty rough. I am forever catching my knit shirt on those curls as I walk along next to the wall. I wish I would have painted the walls when the house was new. I also tend to think that it has lost some of its density and wouldn't hold a nail or screw as well as it did originally.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.