And many of you were involved in the conception (though you may not have known it)! I've lurked in the shadows reading every post I could find on dust collection (including Bill Pent'z unbelievably detailed site - thanks Bill!), lighting, fluorescent vs incandescent vs halogen, Jet vs Grizzly vs PM, 220V wiring in a basement, moving a 1/4 ton TS around, and more.

And while conceiving is always fun, I fear the "pangs of birth"! I have a host of equipment on its way, and a tiny, unwired, unlit, cluttered spot that has to be cleared, wired, and lit before I can begin making serious sawdust.

My shop is confined to a space about 20' x 20'. I've gone "business casual" (with just a touch of yellow to add some color) and will be cramming the following into that space:
  1. A Jet Deluxe XACTA TS with 50" rip
  2. A Jet 1200 DC
  3. A Jet 6" Jointer
  4. A Dewalt 13" planer
  5. A Jet 17" drill press
  6. A 30" router table (to be built)
  7. A 60" x 30" workbench (to be built)
  8. other tools such as a compound miter saw that can be stored when not in use
My shop layout is shown below. The numbers in the diagram correspond to the numbers in the list above.

Workshop1b.gif

I'm thinking to put the planer on a mobile patform so I can pull it forward about 2', making it possible to plane long boards. When pushed back to the next to the TS, I can use the TS for infeed.

Given this layout, I think I will have to stick with 4" pipe (I assume I will be stuck with the 4" wye that comes attached to the DC - could I put a 6" wye right at the DC?). The runs are short and straight, about 5' at the most. I'll use PVC to the machines, short flex from there to the dust ports, self cleaning blast gates at the wyes.

I am constrained by all the doors and windows (the windows extend to within about 12" of the floor).

The only reasonable alternative I've been able to come up with is to put the DC against the right hand wall. That might allow me to run 6" ducting (no need for a wye right at the DC), but makes the run to the TS longer (about 10').

What do you all think? Are there other options that I should consider?

Oh, and thanks to all you SMCers who helped me conceive!