Thread: Get ready for the Questions... they will be coming.

Get ready for the Questions... they will be coming.

Jet came in today so I picked it up, got some Cool Blocks and a 1/4 inch blade. I also got a mobile base because I just don't have the room. Man, table saw, band saw, router table, jointer, planer, drill press and sander and some other stuff in a 12x16....... and I can still move....

It went together very easy the only thing that gave me a problem was getting the belt tension right while keep the pulleys on the same plane. They need to come up with a better way to move the motor, one hand to hold the motor in place, one hand to tighten the nut and one hand to hold a wrench on the bolt. (Now whats wrong with that picture)

I have only done a little cutting with it but it sure bets the jig saw all to heck. I did get a book on Bandsaws by Lonnie Bird, have read it so I think I have some what of an idea on what it can do. (not much)

I still am not sure what I am going to do for a fence there are 2 of them I am looking at the Kreg and the Woodheaven, still not sure which yet.

P2293987-2.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 03-01-2008 at 9:48 PM.

Congrats Bill! Mobility is the name of the game in a small shop. I leave my TS, BS and DP set in place. Everything else is mobile. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Congrats Bill! Mobility is the name of the game in a small shop. I leave my TS, BS and DP set in place. Everything else is mobile. Jim.
    But when its real small, the table saw is where the bandsaw goes but that is where I use the planer but if the planer is out I can't use the router table so he bandsaw has to go in a corner.

But on the other hand it is nice to set on a stool and reach everything.

Congrats, you'll love the versatility the bandsaw will add to the shop. By the way what's that spider web of wires in the corner? Don't overload anything.

Jet Fence?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I still am not sure what I am going to do for a fence there are 2 of them I am looking at the Kreg and the Woodheaven, still not sure which yet.
    Bill,
    Congrats on the new bandsaw.

Check out the Jet fence. I guess it is an option on your model since you don't mention anything. I got a slightly larger Jet fence (for a 16" bandsaw) from Amazon. I think is was around $70 including shipping. I prefered it over Kreg and Grizzly's fences IMHO. However, a lot of folks here like the Kreg.

-Jeff
    Last edited by Jeffrey Makiel; 03-01-2008 at 8:53 PM. Reason: Added last sentence

Amazon Link

I just checked Amazon. It's $90 shipped. Here's linky...

http://www.amazon.com/Jet-708718R-Fe.../dp/B0000223LG

cheers, Jeff

Blog Entries
    Nice Bill. That is the same bandsaw I have and mine is also on a mobile base. It does the job for me.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Congrats on that BS Bill, I have its cousin, the PM 14". I am with you on that belt tension scheme WMH worked up. I did a tune up this past week and had some choice words in this post:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...rmatic+bandsaw

I started drawing a 12X16 box in my head but started getting claustrophobic! I used to run a restaurant in NYC with a kitchen that size...full of equipment and 5 guys working all day...starting to get claustrophobic again...moved out to the country to work with bigger vegetables and get more space!

I digress..thats a nice machine and your gonna love it.

Congrats Bill on that new b/s! May it serve you well!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Malinich View Post
    Congrats, you'll love the versatility the bandsaw will add to the shop. By the way what's that spider web of wires in the corner? Don't overload anything.

That is a spider web, we have some really big spiders here in Texas....

The box in on the wall and I am waiting for the breakers and cable to come in, it was one of those bother-in-law deals and the price was right...

It is wired for 5 circuits plus a 220 if I need it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post
    Bill,
    Congrats on the new bandsaw.

Check out the Jet fence. I guess it is an option on your model since you don't mention anything. I got a slightly larger Jet fence (for a 16" bandsaw) from Amazon. I think is was around $70 including shipping. I prefered it over Kreg and Grizzly's fences IMHO. However, a lot of folks here like the Kreg.

-Jeff
    The price is better then the Woodheaven but one thing I like about it is you can set the fence for drift and it is a tall fence. They say you can use it as a resaw fence.
    I think I will just use a 2x4 for awhile until I better understand what I need and want.

The Jet looks like a good fence and it would bolt right one I am sure and that is another plus. It also looks heavier then the other and that is another plus.

7280%20lg.jpg

Congratulations Bill, it looks like a fine machine! I've had the best of luck with Jet Customer Service too. (if you ever need it)

I've had excellent luck with Kreg equipment too, so I'd probably lean that way for the fence. Made in the USA and top quality.

Bill, congratulations on your new purchase. I know you will use it to make great things.

You already have a perfect fence for the BS. Those pieces you scavenged from work are just the bees knees. Cut one a bit longer than the cast iron bed of the Jet and simply clamp it in place where you need it. Before locking it down you can set it for drift--I'm sure Lonnie Bird will tell you how in your BS book.

Plus, if you ever want to resaw a plank, just attach a wide board to the fence using the T-track and a couple of ¼-20 nuts and bolts.

What is your first project for this new machine? Remember to post photos!

Bert

You will love the Jet BS. I got mine about 5 years ago and made bandsaw boxes. A lot of fun. I also have the mobile base, work in my garage, a Fast Track fence and a Quick Release to save the tires. I put the 6" riser in last year. Works great. ENJOY.
    I cut it twice and it's still too short.

Bill, congratulations. That Jet is a workhorse. Enjoy!
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps